PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook hinge problems

phonic pol
Feb 18, 2005, 02:09 PM
I have a Powerbook 1.33 15" and it has this annoying problem with the hinges. It's like their slightly over tightened; they creak when I move the screen, especially when it's been in the same position for a while.

Has anybody else encountered this problem and does anyone know of a fix?

Thanks in advance...

Gokhan
Feb 18, 2005, 05:11 PM
a bit of machine oil lightly ! i mean lightly applied to the hinges should cure your problems

phonic pol
Feb 18, 2005, 07:14 PM
Is there an easy way to get good access to the hinge pivots for light oiling?

Sutekidane
Feb 18, 2005, 07:29 PM
I have the same powerbook as you and I'm having the same problem as well. Its gotten worse and worse since I've had it. When I first got it, it was really smooth. Mine makes lound creaking noises like those REV A dual usb ibook g3s (I had one with the same problem). Radtech.us seems to sell a solution to the problem but I don't feel like spending $20 on a little vial of oil. I have opened up the powerbook to install a new HD, but I'd hate to have to do it again just for some hinge.

phonic pol
Feb 18, 2005, 07:38 PM
Yeah, mine has good days and bad days, sometimes I worry about putting excess stress on the screen because there's that much resistance.

Unless I read some better ideas here I'm going to try putting a small quantity of light machine oil on the end of a pin and inserting it into the hinge gap.

chaos86
Feb 18, 2005, 11:57 PM
i have the same problem (1.33/15"). ill be interested to find out what happens

Chubypig
Mar 7, 2005, 01:59 PM
I have the same problem too! Has anyone tried the oil? Are there any other solutions?

parrothead
Mar 7, 2005, 08:34 PM
This might be a good time to give some important advice. Always always always use two hands (one on either side) or one hand in the middle when adjusting/closing powerbook (and ibook) screens. Grabbing only one side produces a slight torque that over time could warp the hinges. This was a huge problem on the Tibooks, but it definitely won't hurt to do this on other machines as well. Who knows this might even help with the creaky hinge problem! ;)

Mechcozmo
Mar 7, 2005, 09:04 PM
Ignore it. I do, because only very small movements cause it. Also, my rev. C 12" PowerBook has over time and usage been 'cured' of this issue, where it doesn't really happen any more.

kanpachi
Mar 8, 2005, 12:00 PM
Ignore it. I do, because only very small movements cause it. Also, my rev. C 12" PowerBook has over time and usage been 'cured' of this issue, where it doesn't really happen any more.

Does anyone know if this issue has been resolved in the most recent revision (15" 1.5 GHz Combo model)? As stated by a previous poster, his hinges were also smooth initially, but now I worry that my hinges may also become creaky over time.

chw
Mar 8, 2005, 08:09 PM
I have the same problem and recently, I had my rev c 12"pb send in for a warranty repair on a hd. After I got it back, when I try to rotate the screen from one of the 2 corners of the screen, I can really see color distortion on the screen caused by the slight twisting of the screen. I never noticed this before. Is this normal? I mean I can slightly twist the screen by holding the 2 corners and get the same effect. Should I send this in for another repair? I am really bumbed about this since I had just gotten it back.... :confused: