Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
I've recently noticed that the download speed for Apple updates is much lower than what I've used to get in the past, which was normally an excelent performance.

As you can see below, this is not a problem related to my connection:

1192809291.png

For instance, when downloading the Java update yesterday and the iTunes update today, I got roughly 20% of my potential bandwidth...is anyone facing the same issue here in Europe or elsewhere?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Check that you're using your ISP's DNS servers. I've seen similar problems where users have changed to a different ISP's DNS for troubleshooting reasons and forgotten to change them back, causing geolocation to return a non-optimal server.

Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Check that you're using your ISP's DNS servers. I've seen similar problems where users have changed to a different ISP's DNS for troubleshooting reasons and forgotten to change them back, causing geolocation to return a non-optimal server.

This is weird...I've been using Google's DNS servers basically - which are considered as the fastest in my area - does that really affect Apple downloads?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
This is weird...I've been using Google's DNS servers basically - which are considered as the fastest in my area - does that really affect Apple downloads?

I don't know whether it affects Apple or not but I remember reading about it here in NZ where people were being directed to US servers instead of NZ ones. The speed difference between our domestic and international bandwidth is huge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.