Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

md63

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
This morning I was in the process of backing up my iPad and had already downloaded 4.2.1 so I could use the greenpoison jail break. The backup took a long time and when I went to click update, iTunes showed version 4.3 had been released and is now asking me to update to 4.3. Do I need to now wait for a jailbreak 4.3 or is there some way to still install 4.2.1 to do the jailbreak. Thanks

md63

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2007
Thank for your comments. I was able to download the 4.2.1 firmware directly to my laptop and activate it later in the day. The Apple activation server seemed to be down in the early afternoon yesterday.

cmoore49

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2008
I am new to this saving shsh. I have 4.3 on my iPad but kept my iPhone jail broken. Can I use the shsh from iPhone to use on my iPad to go back to 4.2.
Like I said this is new to me so don't flame me yet. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I am new to this saving shsh. I have 4.3 on my iPad but kept my iPhone jail broken. Can I use the shsh from iPhone to use on my iPad to go back to 4.2.
Like I said this is new to me so don't flame me yet. Thanks for your help.

SHSHs are unique to each device. If you had an SHSH from one iPad, you couldn't use it to downgrade another iPad. You don't need to be on a particular firmware or be jailbroken to save SHSH. Download Tinyumbrella immediately, hook up your iPad, and get it to save all available SHSH. If Apple is still signing 4.2, it will save, even though your iPad is on 4.3.

cmoore49

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2008
Thanks. Looks like I saved them ok. Now according to tiny umbrella I can restore device using saved SHSH by starting TSS server.
I have 4 saved SHSH one being the 4.2.1 I am assuming that is the one I want to highlight and then start TSS server.
Is this the way to go?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Thanks. Looks like I saved them ok. Now according to tiny umbrella I can restore device using saved SHSH by starting TSS server.
I have 4 saved SHSH one being the 4.2.1 I am assuming that is the one I want to highlight and then start TSS server.
Is this the way to go?

You don't need to highlight anything, just start TSS server. You do need to have the 4.2.1 ipsw file downloaded on your computer. Then you start TSS server, start iTunes, I'd put your iPad in DFU mode, then shift+restore / option+restore and point iTunes to the 4.2.1 ipsw.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.