Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chunker

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2010
I may get the NBA league pass for the ATV2 (big maybe), but the Netflix 5.1 is very enticing. Only problem is there isn't enough content that plays HD.

My biggest concern is 'if' I do upgrade, then XBMC will stop working.

But then again, I'm sure Netflix will update their HD content with 5.1 DD sound.

I'm tempted to upgrade to the new OS like most people.... hmm.

nooki

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2011
I'm also concerned that XBMC will be gone. But my apple tv asks me if I want to update every two minutes or so! Does anyone know how fix that?

chunker

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2010
I'm also concerned that XBMC will be gone. But my apple tv asks me if I want to update every two minutes or so! Does anyone know how fix that?

Go to NitoTv
Settings
then 'Disable' AppleTV updates

You should be set.

Now that I'm here, how does one save your current jailbroken ATV settings?

Say the new jailbreak for this OS version comes out next week, and I upgrade both the new ATV OS and jailbreak, how will I save my current setup?

Will I have to go through the entire unthetering jailbreaking process all over again? or can it be updated via internet?

Sorry for the noob questions, I'm a noob.:eek:

nfora

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2011
Now that I'm here, how does one save your current jailbroken ATV settings?

Say the new jailbreak for this OS version comes out next week, and I upgrade both the new ATV OS and jailbreak, how will I save my current setup?

My plan is to copy the userdata folder from XBMC over to my Mac or my NAS, and copy it back over after I've re-jailbroken and re-installed NitoTV/XBMC. It's a pain, especially since I just went to the trouble of buying and setting the ATV2 up today.

If anyone has a better suggestion, I'm all ears.

chunker

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2010
My plan is to copy the userdata folder from XBMC over to my Mac or my NAS, and copy it back over after I've re-jailbroken and re-installed NitoTV/XBMC. It's a pain, especially since I just went to the trouble of buying and setting the ATV2 up today.

If anyone has a better suggestion, I'm all ears.

after some more digging, I found out about TinyUmbrella.

I'm new to every form of jailbreaking so this is alien to me. But you can save your settings once you hook up your ATV to your computer (so I've been told).

Hopefully this works out.

As for me....

I'm just gonna wait for the new jailbreak to be released (should be out in less than 2 weeks). I don't own any iOS devices (aside from ATV), and there isn't enough HD DD content in Netflix to justify updating, and losing my NAS streaming ability.

djrobsd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
XBMC Backup

Yes, you can backup your XBMC stuff... You need to get a SFTP client for your PC (winSCP is a good one) or MAC, and then connect into the IP of your AppleTV, login is root (with the alpine password unless you changed it).

Navigate to /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences and copy the ENTIRE XBMC folder over to your Mac or PC and back it up somewhere. Then when you reinstall XBMC you can just copy that folder back, and viola you're stuff is back!

nfora

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2011
Navigate to /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences and copy the ENTIRE XBMC folder over to your Mac or PC and back it up somewhere. Then when you reinstall XBMC you can just copy that folder back, and viola you're stuff is back!
Anything in particular needed in the XBMC folder? The DB, settings, and thumbnails are all in the XBMC/userdata folder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.