Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zord

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
Do I need to delete my Developer folder to install Xcode 4?

I've never went about upgrading Xcode before.

Thanks!

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
If you want to preserve your current Xcode 3 installation (which might be a good idea), you should probably install it elsewhere (or move Xcode 3 somewhere where Xcode 4 won't wipe it out).

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Are you sure? It didn't for me. When I upgraded to XCode 4 it replaced XCode 3 completely.

The directory is there, I'll check if it was actually created by installing Xcode 4 - I dont remember it being there beforehand though.

( My xcode 4 was via appstore )

jnoxx

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2010
Aartselaar // Antwerp // Belgium
Don't install Xcode 4, it's killing me, literly.
I have a macbook with the top I7 (before sandy bridge).
4 gigs ram, 1600 mhz. So one of top Macbook Pro's from 4 months ago.
And it doesn't load Xcode 4, it's slow, has memory leaks (if u run it for long time, it will leak RAM.) So eventually ur pc will slow down alot when ur doing the simpliest things. Damn, thinking of going back to 3.2.5

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
And it doesn't load Xcode 4, it's slow, has memory leaks (if u run it for long time, it will leak RAM.) So eventually ur pc will slow down alot when ur doing the simpliest things. Damn, thinking of going back to 3.2.5
Interesting. I have Xcode 4 running on my 2008 MacBook Pro (4GB RAM, 2.4GHz C2D) and it runs fine.

rdas7

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2002
London, England

I've got the same problem. 2008 MacBook Pro (unibody), 10.6.6 and 6GB RAM. If I launch xcode4 my machine all but dies until I force quit it. Activity Monitor shows 20MB RAM free (that's MB not GB). Any solutions?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
It's running OK for me (Early 2010 15" MBP, 2.4GHz i5, 8Gb RAM). It is using a lot of RAM though (2.36Gb of Real RAM right now).

Solublepeter

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2011
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Same here

Same here, it runs terribly slowly now.

I like most of the code changes in Xcode 4, but it crawls on my mac mini. I had no problems with XCode 3 previously, that was nice and fast when using the simulator.

Hmm. I just spotted that it wont compile for my iPhone either (could not load inserted library /usr/lib/libgmalloc.dylib)

Peter Johnson

Last edited by a moderator:

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
At first I thought it was the simulator bogging my iMac down, but consulting activity monitor revealed it was XCode 4.

It didn't leave XCode 3 anywhere on my computer, it completely wiped it out. While some of the new features look cool (I like the GUI for what used to be unwieldy property lists,) I dislike the new program a lot... I hate the red underlines trying to say I've done something wrong, because I haven't and it all compiles and runs fine (better, in fact, than XCode 4 itself does.) Then the all in one interface... I'll admit all the windows maybe got unwieldy sometime, but I dislike that the new interface is trying to show you all kinds of crap when most of the time you don't need to see it at all... IE, why does it spring up my NSLog Output even if it's blank while I'm trying to write code? And going to the all in one was totally unnecessary to fix Interface Builder... IB needed to act smarter and check for new files on its own, and to save files when XCode compiles... IB and XC should be best friends, not one person with two heads.

Bleh

jnoxx

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2010
Aartselaar // Antwerp // Belgium
I did a complete format, and reinstall of Xcode 4.0.2 and i'm still having trouble, sometimes in IB, that it starts slowing really own, all i have to do, is force quit Xcode, and then reboot..
Makes me sad, but whatever.

Sykte

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2010

07 mac pro here, no problems to report.

dantastic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2011
I've a 2008 iMac and xcode 4 is a disaster. Haven't seen my 'ol friend the beach ball this often since I was on a G4.

Not to mention that for some reason, about 50% of the time, when I close a project xCode crashes.

I really dislike the new GUI. That you can't pop out the console for instance is madness. I've a dual screen setup and I find xcode 4 to be restricting my work more than anything else.

will probably go back when I have time to do so.

Sykte

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2010
I've a 2008 iMac and xcode 4 is a disaster. Haven't seen my 'ol friend the beach ball this often since I was on a G4.

Not to mention that for some reason, about 50% of the time, when I close a project xCode crashes.

I really dislike the new GUI. That you can't pop out the console for instance is madness. I've a dual screen setup and I find xcode 4 to be restricting my work more than anything else.

will probably go back when I have time to do so.

I'll try it on an original mini I have unplugged, what version of MacOSX are you running? I currently have it running on a 2010 IMac 27 and a 2007 Mac Pro without problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.