PDA

View Full Version : Will my bluetooth mouse work before mac boots up? ie reinstalling MAC os?

marknicholls
Feb 18, 2005, 05:05 PM
Hey

I have a bluetooth mouse, and am wondering if i can sell me old wired one mac mouse as they fetch a fair bit in the UK on eBay.

Will i need it again? will the mac OS install detect the bluetooth mouse? or will i still need a wired mouse?

Thanks

djbahdow01
Feb 18, 2005, 05:47 PM
Hey

I have a bluetooth mouse, and am wondering if i can sell me old wired one mac mouse as they fetch a fair bit in the UK on eBay.

Will i need it again? will the mac OS install detect the bluetooth mouse? or will i still need a wired mouse?

Thanks

Not sure with your situation, but i ordered my D2.5 G5 with blutooth mouse and keyboard. I was worried after a little bit as i didn't have a wired mouse how would the OS set up without having a mouse and keyboard. It booted first time, and recognized the bluetooth mouse and keyboard right away, and i was able to set up my user settings and such. First product with Apple and very pleased with the set up.
I also have done a clean install and it did the same thing. So it should work for you.

combatcolin
Feb 18, 2005, 06:04 PM
The Firmware on your Mac has the relevent info for BT without needing an OS to work with for booting/installing OS.

The firmware was updated for BT around 10.3.5 i think.

IJ Reilly
Feb 18, 2005, 06:08 PM
If I were you, I'd keep a wired mouse around. I've found that when I replace dead batteries on my BT mouse sometimes it's not recognized and I have to go through the setup process again. It's happened to me several times.

Mechcozmo
Feb 18, 2005, 06:30 PM
Isn't a bad idea to keep a wired mouse around. Doesn't have to be an Apple mouse. Any USB mouse will do.

Just because that one time your Bluetooth firmware is corrupted during an update and you have to redo the update... yeah, you know.

Platform
Feb 18, 2005, 11:16 PM
I'am not sure but I don't think so becasue, when I have used a PB with a BT mouse it takes a bit of time let say after you have woken it up after sleep. (not all the time but sometimes it takes a bit of time)

macquestion99
Feb 19, 2005, 09:49 AM
My BT keyboard and BT mouse cannot be relied on when doing anything but a normal boot. For instance, when I boot from the Install CD (to run the Disk Utility) the BT keyboard worked but the BT mouse did not. When I've tried the single-user boot, the BT keyboard didn't work.

So, the safe thing is to always have a USB keyboard and a USB mouse, just in case.

I have the 20" iMac G5, with the BT keyboard and BT mouse that shipped with the BT option.

TIGERmac
Feb 19, 2005, 10:37 AM
I second (or third, fourth, or whatever!) the motion to keep a wired USB mouse around. My BT keyboard hasn't had any issues, but my Apple BT mouse has lost communication with my iMac on a couple of occasions. It's a bit of a pain to try to figure out keyboard commands that will enable you to access the BT assistant to restore the communication.

Besides these occasional communication issues, these Apple BT peripherals are excellent. Battery life seems reasonable, and I've experienced no delays or interference issues.

ShermDog
Feb 19, 2005, 10:45 AM
I also have an Apple bluetooth keyboard and mouse, and I am unable to boot from a CD during startup (by holding the "C" key down) because the keyboard isn't recognized until well into the startup process. For example, I recently experienced a kernal panic and wanted to run the Apple Hardware Test CD, but I am unable to startup from the CD. Unfortunately, I eBayed my wired keyboard when I got the wireless one.

I keep a wired mouse around because sometimes when I wake my computer from sleep, the mouse doesn't wake up with everything else, so I have to use the BT assistant to reconnect it.