PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Backups appeared in sidebar of Mac OS X Lion Finder

celticpride678
Mar 9, 2011, 07:32 PM
I was using Mac OS X Lion this evening and I noticed that a new, "Mobile Backups" folder was included in the sidebar of Finder. It showed up by itself (definitely wasn't there before).

When you try to drag it out, it just comes back.

Anyone else? Any ideas?

nate8nate
Mar 9, 2011, 10:23 PM
It's for local Time Machine backups and version control. It shouldn't be showing up in the sidebar, but shouldn't be anything to worry about (Maybe try looking in Finder's preferences). Usually, the folder is located in "/Volumes"

poobear
Mar 10, 2011, 02:05 AM
It's in my side bar as well, appeared around the time when I disabled all that local Time Machine stuff.

LutzRFrank
Mar 10, 2011, 02:39 AM
It's in my side bar as well, appeared around the time when I disabled all that local Time Machine stuff.

same here - and I just disabled "keep local" option in time machine setup.

shmlchr
Mar 10, 2011, 01:29 PM
When you try to drag it out, it just comes back.
Press the command key when dragging stuff out of the sidebar to remove it. This behavior is the inverse of what it has been up to Snow Leopard.

kepner
Mar 10, 2011, 04:29 PM
Press the command key when dragging stuff out of the sidebar to remove it.

That did it. Thanks!

celticpride678
Mar 10, 2011, 04:41 PM
Press the command key when dragging stuff out of the sidebar to remove it. This behavior is the inverse of what it has been up to Snow Leopard.

Worked for me to. Weird - never enabled Time Machine in Lion or changed any settings.

Hyde244
Jul 22, 2011, 10:36 AM
I have a bit of a reverse problem, the backup drive doesn't display in my sidebar, but shows up in iStat. Any way to remove a hard drive listing from iStat?

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Photos/Screen%20Shot%202011-07-22%20at%2010.40.06%20AM.jpg?w=4e723ee9

crspechicn
Jul 24, 2011, 06:00 PM
I have a bit of a reverse problem, the backup drive doesn't display in my sidebar, but shows up in iStat. Any way to remove a hard drive listing from iStat?

You can press the "i" on iStat and deselect the MobileBackups box under "Display". I just saw the same thing appear when I set up my Time Machine backup in Lion.

doubleodd
Aug 14, 2011, 09:24 PM
Why is this new MobileBackups disk showing 499.2GB used and 0 Free? What does that mean?

What is a "local backup" and should I turn something off in Time Machine preferences? Is this MobileBackup necessary?

When I open up the MobileBackup folder it shows backups of my entire hard drive every hour or so.

I hate it when Apple just changes everything and doesn't explain anything.

maroot
Aug 25, 2011, 11:18 AM
Mine shows the same thing in iStat.

Is it a bug in iStat?

My Time Capsule folder file sizes appear to be correct.

Hmmm.

Hedge666
Oct 25, 2011, 11:24 AM
I have just done a scan with Daisydisk and found this folder called .Mobilebackups that has stored over 8GB of the contents of my trash I thought I'd deleted a week ago! Since downloading Lion my hard drive is always at capacity with stuff like this! Any ideas on why it's there, what it's for and how to disable whatever it's doing?!

Also, I keep getting a FULL iPhone backup on my computer's hard drive when my default drive in iTunes is set to an external one. It's 20-odd GB!! My HDD is only 120GB so this is becoming a bit of a problem!! Can these 'back-ups' be set to an external HDD or just disabled?

Cheers.

ravenlynch
Nov 25, 2011, 07:56 PM
OK, My only guess here is that Apple is storing my Time Machine backups to the Cloud. I could be totally wrong but someone needs to prove that so. This is why:
In Motion 5, I have the 'MobileBackups' icon in the sidebar and no external drives connected anywhere on my network. I also do not own a Time Capsule. However, I can select MobileBackups from the sidebar and browse my Time Machine backups that I've been making from my MacBook Pro (to an external FW drive). Absolutely wild as this is over 400GB of data.

Has anyone else seen this? I also noticed what other mentioned with Daisy Disk. Both with my MacBook Pro and my MacBook Air. In the case of Daisy Disk, the data is not readable but shows up as an equivalent amount of space as the internal storage of the machines.

Is Apple storing our Time Machine backups in iCloud?!

AlliOop
Mar 22, 2012, 04:46 PM
Try this for a brief explanation of what this MobileBackups is about:
http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2011/07/mac-os-x-10-7.ars/18

However, after reading that, my understanding is that it's still storing it on your computer (localhost). If that is Apple's answer to not being able to backup to an external drive or a 2nd HDD, how do you recover or restore your data if your system gets corrupted or even stolen?

Does anyone have any more answers?