PDA

View Full Version : Bright LED behind screen

KnightWRX
Mar 9, 2011, 07:44 PM
I have a bright led in the backlight of my screen, off on the lower left corner. It only shows up on pale colors and is bigger than a pixel (you can see it's a white led shining through) so it's not a stuck pixel. On black or darker colors, I don't see it.

Is this covered by Apple's warranty ?

GGJstudios
Mar 9, 2011, 07:51 PM
About LCD display pixel anomalies for Apple products released in 2010 and later (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4044)

KnightWRX
Mar 9, 2011, 08:10 PM
I said this wasn't a pixel problem, it's a backlight problem.

samiznaetekto
Mar 9, 2011, 08:44 PM
I have a bright led in the backlight of my screen, off on the lower left corner. It only shows up on pale colors and is bigger than a pixel (you can see it's a white led shining through) so it's not a stuck pixel. On black or darker colors, I don't see it.

Is this covered by Apple's warranty ?

Just pretend it's not there.

GGJstudios
Mar 9, 2011, 08:47 PM
I said this wasn't a pixel problem, it's a backlight problem.
I know you said it was bigger than a pixel, but I posted that in case it turned out to be multiple pixels, which could be either bright or dark. If it doesn't apply, just disregard.

munkery
Mar 9, 2011, 09:20 PM
It is not a bright LED. It is the layers of the LCD panel separating at an anchor point near the corner of the display. This causes extra light to bleed through at that point when displaying lighter colours.

It looks like a circle with the same diameter as the LEDs you see in flashlights. Am I correct?

I had it occur in the upper right corner of a 20" ACD. Apple exchanged the display on warranty without any hassle.

TheRealDamager
Mar 9, 2011, 09:43 PM
Instead of receiving any more opinions, just take it into an Apple store and have them look at it.

KnightWRX
Mar 10, 2011, 04:38 AM
I didn't want opinions, I wanted to know if this was covered before I went through the hassle of taking a Genius bar appointment and having to go to the store. Post #6 seems to answer it best, though mine is not really "in the corner", it's quite offset but still in the lower left hand.

Though since this is a BTO, i'll probably be stuck without a computer for a while. :mad:

Alfieg
Mar 10, 2011, 05:48 AM
If you don't want opinions I suggest you leave discussion forums well alone. Call Apple instead next time.

iDisk
Mar 10, 2011, 06:00 AM
I didn't want opinions, I wanted to know if this was covered before I went through the hassle of taking a Genius bar appointment and having to go to the store. Post #5 seems to answer it best, though mine is not really "in the corner", it's quite offset but still in the lower left hand.

Though since this is a BTO, i'll probably be stuck without a computer for a while. :mad:

Knight, call applecare, to make sure its covered (it should be), though your situation is very rare, apple will cover the problem of your unit. So yes its covered under warranty.

Is it your only machine you use at the moment??

If you don't want opinions I suggest you leave discussion forums well alone. Call Apple instead next time.

lol

munkery
Mar 10, 2011, 09:00 AM
When these occur, the light spot is usually not right in the corner but close to the vertical edge and varying distances (1/2 to 1 inch) away from the nearest horizontal edge depending on the size of the monitor.

KnightWRX
Mar 10, 2011, 10:12 AM
When these occur, the light spot is usually not right in the corner but close to the vertical edge and varying distances (1/2 to 1 inch) away from the nearest horizontal edge depending on the size of the monitor.

Sounds about right, thanks for the help, I'll take an appointment. You helped saved me a call to AppleCare and being left on hold for gods knows how long, no matter how it annoyed some forum posters ;)

KnightWRX
Aug 8, 2011, 01:18 PM
Just an update, finally took the time to take a Genius bar appointment and braved the chaos that is the Montreal Apple Store. After waiting for like 45 minutes standing up in a crowd (even though I had an appointment, it seems you still get to wait and wait and wait...) the Genius agreed with munkery on the cause and swapped the display.

I know I'm necroing a thread here, but just providing closure.