Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charlyee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
Wisconsin
Heelo all, I was all set to get the iPad2 to transfer videos from my HF10, edit, save, and later transfer to external storage and also play via HDMI port to my TV.

I was told that the m2st format from Canon is not supported at the iPad2 level and I should look at a laptop.

I like the portability of the 11.6", specially the weight.

So, my question is will the MBA do the above and what would be the associated photo editing software.

Thanks much. :)

xxRONNIExx

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008
California
I basically have the same camera as you ( I have the hfs100). I use iMovie 11 and Final Cut Express with no problems. But Im not doing anything major editing just adding basic transitions and music. I also maxed out my ram to 4GB as well.

charlyee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
Wisconsin
I basically have the same camera as you ( I have the hfs100). I use iMovie 11 and Final Cut Express with no problems. But Im not doing anything major editing just adding basic transitions and music. I also maxed out my ram to 4GB as well.
Thanks very much, that is good to know. I am not going to do major editing either. :)

I noted down the two programs, hoping to pick one up this weekend.

So this would not be possible on the iPad2?

EDIT: I just noticed couple of the cons mentioned:

No native AVCHD editing or direct import

Pre-processing and import transcoding can be time-consuming

How is the pre processing done and does it retain the original resolution etc?

Sorry for all the questions but I have not done much video editing and left everything on SD cards.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

xxRONNIExx

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008
California
Thanks very much, that is good to know. I am not going to do major editing either. :)

I noted down the two programs, hoping to pick one up this weekend.

So this would not be possible on the iPad2?

EDIT: I just noticed couple of the cons mentioned:

No native AVCHD editing or direct import

Pre-processing and import transcoding can be time-consuming

How is the pre processing done and does it retain the original resolution etc?

Sorry for all the questions but I have not done much video editing and left everything on SD cards.

Thanks again.

iMovie 11 comes with your MBA. Try that out first more than likely thats all you will really need. If you need more try final cut express. Keep in mind the air isn't really for major editing, it will take time to process depending on what you want to do to.
Get a card reader and iMovie will pick up you SC card...I wouldnt use a iPad for editing movie even though they have iMovie for the iPad. Thats mainly IMO for on the go, while you travel editing...hope this helps

charlyee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
Wisconsin
iMovie 11 comes with your MBA. Try that out first more than likely thats all you will really need. If you need more try final cut express. Keep in mind the air isn't really for major editing, it will take time to process depending on what you want to do to.
Get a card reader and iMovie will pick up you SC card...I wouldnt use a iPad for editing movie even though they have iMovie for the iPad. Thats mainly IMO for on the go, while you travel editing...hope this helps
Thanks much for all your help.

Just picked up the MBA, wish me luck. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.