Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
Have Lion on a 2010 6-Core Westmere Mac Pro and a 2009 27" iMac on the same network, sharing/etc. configured but "Airdrop" does not appear on my Mac Pro, only the iMac. Could be certain "Airport" cards not getting support yet?

Update: I thought it may be related to DropBox being modded to work on Lion but that has not been the case.

Last edited by a moderator:

LutzRFrank

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2011
Germany/Switzerland/France
Have Lion on a 2010 6-Core Westmere Mac Pro and a 2009 27" iMac on the same network, sharing/etc. configured but "Airdrop" does not appear on my Mac Pro, only the iMac. Could be certain "Airport" cards not getting support yet?

Update: I noticed those with "Dropbox" installed are having issues with AirDrop. It seems they may "conflict". I installed DropBox in Lion by following the plist modification found on many threads/sites. Gonna try uninstalling Dropbox, rebooting and checking it out.

both, my iMac and the Air have a patched Dropbox 1.1.1 installed - Air does not show Airdrop, iMac does. I assume no issue with dropbox. Air even didn't show it without Dropbox installed.

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
both, my iMac and the Air have a patched Dropbox 1.1.1 installed - Air does not show Airdrop, iMac does. I assume no issue with dropbox. Air even didn't show it without Dropbox installed.

So odd. Maybe certain Airport cards aren't supported yet?

Messy

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
So odd. Maybe certain Airport cards aren't supported yet?

Yea see i thought it might have something to do with older cards not being able to handle Wireless N standard or something, but I've got Lion installed on a 13" MBP and a 17"MBP (2008) and it doesnt show on the 17" for some reason and they both have Wireless N.

Maybe its a chipset thing? Im really stumped as to what specific requirements are needed.

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
Yea see i thought it might have something to do with older cards not being able to handle Wireless N standard or something, but I've got Lion installed on a 13" MBP and a 17"MBP (2008) and it doesnt show on the 17" for some reason and they both have Wireless N.

Maybe its a chipset thing? Im really stumped as to what specific requirements are needed.

Ditto. All our systems are current (the iMac is a later 2009 27" 10,1 model) and it has AirDrop. I've read dozens of threads and edited my com.apple.sidebarlist.plist in ~/Libary/Preferences/ folder but nada. I even compared the file to the iMac's file and they are identical. Unless there is another factor software wise, it has to be something with AirPort cards?

Maybe moving the sidebar preference file out of the folder and rebooting?

Now I've discovered my Mac Pro isn't showing up as a shared network device on other Lion systems. Odd.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.