PDA

View Full Version : iPad 2 Launch: Tysons Corner Mall, VA

e3winged
Mar 9, 2011, 11:02 PM
What time are you guys planing on showing up at the Apple store in Tysons? I'm thinking of being at the store around 2:30pm :D
I'm going to try and update the thread on how the line looks every half hour before the launch. Ill try and post some pics too.

Clix Pix
Mar 10, 2011, 12:28 PM
Hooray! Someone else will be at Tysons! :) I am planning to get there in the early afternoon, not sure yet exactly what time. I'll have my 3G first-gen iPad with me so can also hop into MR to keep people abreast of what's going on.....

leenak
Mar 10, 2011, 06:20 PM
I'm a dork because I usually go to Tysons Corner when I go to the apple store but I didn't realize that there was an apple store closer to me in Bethesda! I'll be going to Best Buy, with Apple/Bethesda being my backup option but I'll want to hear your guys experience :)

jwright0
Mar 10, 2011, 11:00 PM
I'll be at the Tysons Apple Store. I work in an adjacent office building, so any info on the lines would be great. I'm hoping to sneak out of work early. :)

e3winged
Mar 10, 2011, 11:25 PM
I'm hoping that its a nice day on friday so people decide to go to other locations to make line. If its raining like it has been people might decide to make line at the mall.

leenak
Mar 11, 2011, 05:00 AM
I don't know, did you see the lines for the Apple store in New York last night? It was outside, in the rain. Also, I did a search of the DC area and there are something like 15 Apple stores. I think our chances are good although I doubt I'll be crossing the bridge to get mine.

vassillios
Mar 11, 2011, 08:32 AM
I work in an office building that overlooks the movie theater at Tyson's. I'll be getting off at 2:30 and will head over then. I'll probably head over around lunch time to check the line situation.

vassillios
Mar 11, 2011, 08:34 AM
I don't know, did you see the lines for the Apple store in New York last night? It was outside, in the rain. Also, I did a search of the DC area and there are something like 15 Apple stores. I think our chances are good although I doubt I'll be crossing the bridge to get mine.

The thing about new york is that there aren't as many retailers around (walmart, target) like there are around here (i think). Also, the NY store isn't in a mall.

vassillios
Mar 11, 2011, 08:38 AM
Just out of curiosity, what models are you guys thinking about getting?

Me > 64 gb, Black, 3g AT&T

And I think i'll pick up a dark blue leather smart cover

vassillios
Mar 11, 2011, 08:39 AM
Hooray! Someone else will be at Tysons! :) I am planning to get there in the early afternoon, not sure yet exactly what time. I'll have my 3G first-gen iPad with me so can also hop into MR to keep people abreast of what's going on.....

please do post here with any info. I'll do the same around 12 ish

Clix Pix
Mar 11, 2011, 09:19 AM
I'll be waiting to get a 64 GB (Black) 3G (AT&T), too! I had been thinking about the orange poly Smart Cover but I really want to see what the things look like in real life before making a final decision. I did see a photo of that blue leather and it really looked nice.....

I've got a couple of things to do before heading out to the mall but I should be there around noon or a little after, I think.

I'll be wearing jeans and one of my black Apple t-shirts, carrying an orange tote bag with my iPad and a cushion for sitting on the floor......

vassillios
Mar 11, 2011, 09:28 AM
I'll be waiting to get a 64 GB (Black) 3G (AT&T), too! I had been thinking about the orange poly Smart Cover but I really want to see what the things look like in real life before making a final decision. I did see a photo of that blue leather and it really looked nice.....

I've got a couple of things to do before heading out to the mall but I should be there around noon or a little after, I think.

I'll be wearing jeans and one of my black Apple t-shirts, carrying an orange tote bag with my iPad and a cushion for sitting on the floor......

Good idea about the cushion! Wish I had thought about that before I left for work today. I'll say hi if I see you.

Small White Car
Mar 11, 2011, 09:44 AM
My wife and I will be there around 5:30.

I'm hopeful that it'll work out. I've waited there for iPhones on launch-days past and that store tends to be well stocked. Much more so than the smaller Apple stores.

Also, without the carrier activations I'm hopeful the line will move quickly. It took me 20 minutes to buy an iPhone there once an employee started helping me. Surely an iPad sale will only take 5 minutes, right?

So I'm hoping that what looks like a 5 hour iPhone line will actually be a 90 minute wait tonight.

We'll see! If I'm wrong I'm fine to order online and wait a month.

Clix Pix
Mar 11, 2011, 09:58 AM
Good idea about the cushion! Wish I had thought about that before I left for work today. I'll say hi if I see you.

I learned that from past experiences at previous Launches.....the cushion works a treat and is easier to handle than a folding chair would be -- one year the mall actually gave all of us folding canvas stool thingies to use -- and to keep! They don't really like people using folding camp chairs, though.

Off to do some things and on my way to the mall!

betaboy78
Mar 11, 2011, 10:07 AM
I just got here. I am about 13 back. As of now, there is no one behind me. I'm wearing a Yellow Hoodie, so feel free to stop by and say Hi.

I assume things will start to pick up after lunch.

Clix Pix
Mar 11, 2011, 10:46 AM
Hi, beta boy, from clixpix, number 18 in line! So far no one behind me.....after noon things will undoubtedly pick up. I was surprised to see so many already here! The security guy grinned at me and said he had expected to see me right in front the way I was last time (number three in line for the 3g launch)!

vassillios
Mar 11, 2011, 10:54 AM
Hi, beta boy, from clixpix, number 18 in line! So far no one behind me.....after noon things will undoubtedly pick up. I was surprised to see so many already here! The security guy grinned at me and said he had expected to see me right in front the way I was last time (number three in line for the 3g launch)!

Crap! 5 in a 40 min period and I still have 2.5 hours to go.

Roger

eyeluvmyimac
Mar 11, 2011, 11:39 AM
I went there for the original iPhone launch - waited ~6 hours in line - then after we all got our phones and the line was gone, it looked like people were just walking in and buying them. So I'm hoping it'll be about the same tonight.... *crosses fingers*

Small White Car
Mar 11, 2011, 11:40 AM
I went there for the original iPhone launch - waited ~6 hours in line - then after we all got our phones and the line was gone, it looked like people were just walking in and buying them. So I'm hoping it'll be about the same tonight.... *crosses fingers*

Exactly. Waiting early for long hours is very important if a store is going to sell out tonight.

But based on past experience I have a good feeling that this particular store won't be selling out tonight.

vassillios
Mar 11, 2011, 11:43 AM
What's the line like now?

Clix Pix
Mar 11, 2011, 12:02 PM
About 30 people now.....

ETA. About 40 ppl now...

Chupa Chupa
Mar 11, 2011, 12:04 PM
Exactly. Waiting early for long hours is very important if a store is going to sell out tonight.

But based on past experience I have a good feeling that this particular store won't be selling out tonight.

Yeah, when the original iPhone went on sale I got there around 3pm and the line was already huge. The line @ the ATT was tiny by comparison. I was #8 in line. Turns out ATT only received a dozen phones (I got the last 8GB) and it took about an hour. I left the store, turned the corner and the entire Apple store line had already cleared and they still had plenty to sell. Lesson learned. The only good thing was my acct was already authorized so I didn't get hung up when iTunes auths went fubar that weekend.

ajdowntown
Mar 11, 2011, 12:22 PM
I am here in line with Clix Pix and betaboy78!

e3winged
Mar 11, 2011, 12:36 PM
So far it looks their is about 50 people in line. I'm like number 45.

ajdowntown
Mar 11, 2011, 12:44 PM
Apple here just gave us a free lunch for those waiting in line... Chick-fil-a chicken nuggets!

ajdowntown
Mar 11, 2011, 12:46 PM
I am number 17 here, wearing the Macdaddy shirt

betaboy78
Mar 11, 2011, 01:29 PM
Just enjoyed some free Chick-Fil-A from the Apple Team. Looks to be about 100 or more people in line now.

e3winged
Mar 11, 2011, 01:45 PM
The line is starting to get really close to Bloomingdales. it's probably like 130 people in line now.

trix11
Mar 11, 2011, 02:03 PM
The line is starting to get really close to Bloomingdales. it's probably like 130 people in line now.

How is the line now? closer to 200?

vassillios
Mar 11, 2011, 02:17 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

I am number 85. There must be at least 160 by now and I got here at 2:30.

bige12
Mar 11, 2011, 02:40 PM
any pictures of the line

eyeluvmyimac
Mar 11, 2011, 03:03 PM
According to the last guy that walked by counting - around 185 ppl so far

ajdowntown
Mar 11, 2011, 03:04 PM
any pictures of the line

I have a few on my twitter account... Follow @ajdowntown

ajdowntown
Mar 11, 2011, 03:44 PM
I have a few on my twitter account... Follow @ajdowntown

I just posted a few more of the actual line on twitter @ajdowntown

bige12
Mar 11, 2011, 03:49 PM
is there a Verzion Wireless store right next to the apple store? I kind of forget since it has been a while since I been at that mall?

jwright0
Mar 11, 2011, 04:56 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

How is the line looking an hour into sales?

ajdowntown
Mar 11, 2011, 05:06 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

How is the line looking an hour into sales?

Actually a title longer now... I checked when I was leaving the store with my 64GB Black AT&T 3G :) that the line was now out the door...

Also, they were handing out sales cards, so that you could be assured that they'd have your model in stock, and well, it had looked like they were out of the card models were gone

betaboy78
Mar 11, 2011, 05:08 PM

I am here in line with Clix Pix and betaboy78!

I'm loading up my iPad 2 Black 3G AT&T (gotta think of a shorter way to say that) right now. Had a great time hanging with you two in line! See you next year for the iPad 3? :D

natallica
Mar 11, 2011, 05:10 PM
I left the line 30 min ago because they sold out of all the AT&T models before I got a ticket...

-- N

betaboy78
Mar 11, 2011, 05:11 PM
I left the line 30 min ago because they sold out of all the AT&T models before I got a ticket...

-- N

Just curious, how far back were you in line?

Consultant
Mar 11, 2011, 05:16 PM
Sold out at Tysons corner. Don't bother.

http://twitter.com/obamapacman for all the store i tried. Reston might have them though. They were giving out tickets to people when I left.

natallica
Mar 11, 2011, 05:29 PM
Just curious, how far back were you in line?

Way back because I first gambled on Micro Center only to find out late in the game they didn't get any AT&T in black and the Fairfax AT&T store said they got no stock from Apple today. :-(

-- N

betaboy78
Mar 11, 2011, 05:49 PM
Way back because I first gambled on Micro Center only to find out late in the game they didn't get any AT&T in black and the Fairfax AT&T store said they got no stock from Apple today. :-(

-- N

Sorry about that. I hope you are able to find one today. Good Luck!

natallica
Mar 11, 2011, 05:52 PM
Sorry about that. I hope you are able to find one today. Good Luck!

It's certainly not your fault! :-)

The AT&T store took my name and number as well as which model I wanted down and claim they'll call me when they get stock. I ordered one online from Apple just in case nothing else comes through.

I'm curious if others had any luck anywhere other than an Apple store?

-- N

Clix Pix
Mar 11, 2011, 06:15 PM
I'm loading up my iPad 2 Black 3G AT&T (gotta think of a shorter way to say that) right now. Had a great time hanging with you two in line! See you next year for the iPad 3? :D

It was so much fun today, especially thanks to both of you guys -- I really enjoyed it! Yep, see you next year for the iPad 3 and also before that for iPhone 5..... LOL!

I haven't activated my iPad 2 yet....I unboxed her and admired her and played with the Smart Cover for a while -- that thing is NEAT! -- and then decided to email a friend who is also interested in an iPad 2 but didn't want to do the waiting-in-line thing, and I'll have some dinner before I get to work activating and synchronizing my new baby!

Gosh, I'm sorry to hear that already there are particular models/capacities/colors/3G service provider sold out. Ouch! Hang in there, everyone and I hope you'll be able to snag the iPad 2 you want somewhere very soon!