Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

svenn

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
I'd definitely spring for the 11.
Unless, of course, the 13 would better suit your needs.

Starlights

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2011
So yeah, which do you guys think I should get?

I was in the same boat a couple of months ago and i went with the 13/4/128

This was my reasoning:
Both were nearly the same price - but if i went with 11" the advantage i got was the small size / ultraportability - but the odd screen size wasnt very helpful in working on any office docs (too much scrolling needed)

With the 13 mentioned being nearly the same price (a bit cheaper through macmall) i not only got a faster processor vs 11 but also more screen area, faster fsb, SD slot and larger trackpad. And its not that 13 isnt portable. I went with the 13.

Now when i look back, had i gone with 11, i would probably have had buyers remorse.

You have to check your own priorities ofcourse.

DetroitDrillSGT

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2011
MD, U.S.
I 2nd the post by Starlights...

My 13" came two days ago...and like you I was in deep thought about which to get, 11 or 13.

I chose the 13 because of the screen size...while the 11" is smaller and more portable, not like the 13 isnt...I went to BB and the Apple store a couple of times to compair them side by side, and what bothered me most was the shortness of the 11" screen. I found myself having to scroll the screen on things that I didnt need to on the 13".

While scrolling is very easy with the trackpad, I figured out it, for me at least, it was going to be a very repeaditive action that I thought was unnecessary.

I did love the smaller footprint of the 11 though. I could pretty much put it in my cargo pocket. :D

Boston007

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
I was in the same boat a couple of months ago and i went with the 13/4/128

This was my reasoning:
Both were nearly the same price - but if i went with 11" the advantage i got was the small size / ultraportability - but the odd screen size wasnt very helpful in working on any office docs (too much scrolling needed)

With the 13 mentioned being nearly the same price (a bit cheaper through macmall) i not only got a faster processor vs 11 but also more screen area, faster fsb, SD slot and larger trackpad. And its not that 13 isnt portable. I went with the 13.

Now when i look back, had i gone with 11, i would probably have had buyers remorse.

You have to check your own priorities ofcourse.

DITTO what he said

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
Sure, if your priorities are the smallest size then the 11" is the way to go.

Otherwise, if you want something almost as portable, dare I say as portable, (imo), with added power, more screen real estate, (as much as 15" MBP), more productivity, less scrolling, better screen resolution, longer batter life, built in SD card slot then the 13" is for you.

More features, more power and more productivity in a slightly larger frame OR less features, less power, less productivity in a slightly smaller frame.

If I had to decide on one I'd choose more ... I don't like less :D

grawk

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2004
Southern York County, PA
Laptops are always going to be compromise systems designed for portability. So when shopping for a laptop, I look for the smallest computer that serves the role I have for it. I have servers at home and work for the heavy lifting, don't really do anything cpu intensive portably, and love the full sized keyboard on the mba 11. The only real temptation for me of the 13 is the higher pixel count, but it's not worth the increased size. When the i5 mba comes out, maybe I'll change my mind, but for now, i'm happy with the 11".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.