PDA

View Full Version : iMac G5: The next iBook G3?

-Jeff
Feb 18, 2005, 11:04 PM
I have had my iMac G5 for five months. When it is working, I absolutely love it. Unfortunately, keeping it running has been an even bigger challenge than keeping my Windows XP system free of viruses and spyware. I have been experiencing video related component failures on the logic board. The image on the screen starts jittering horizontally, and eventually the display is completely unreadable. Each time it starts, I run the Apple Hardware Test and the Video RAM fails. I am now awaiting my third replacement midplane assembly, which includes the logic board. I just received a new LCD panel as well. When my third midplane arrives, Apple will have sent me $3,750.00 worth of replacement parts for a machine that cost $2,180.00 built to order. (2 replacement midplanes @ $1,289.06 each and 1 replacement LCD panel @ $1,171.88) Replacing the midplane is no small task, either. I have several hours tied up between replacing parts and troubleshooting on the phone with Apple.

It seems like this story should strike a chord with anyone unlucky enough to have purchased an iBook G3 covered by the Logic Board Replacement Program. Does anyone have any advice on how to handle this? I fear that each logic board they send me will eventually fail, and the warranty is only good for 1 year. Has anyone else here at MacRumors had similar issues with an iMac G5? Plenty of people on the Apple Discussions board have:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?128@764.Zs7YabhYRXe.1@.68a31fdd

Edit: I am awaiting my second replacement midplane (not the third). That will be three logic boards total in the 5 month life of the product including the original.

SteveC
Feb 18, 2005, 11:39 PM
Sorry to hear that. No, it's not the next iBook G3 though. There have been reported issues (as with any computer) but I actually saw more problems with rafter shift on the eMac line than I have seen with probs with the iMac.

I'd definitely buy AppleCare to extend it to 3 years though... It's worth the investment.

Have you tried asking for a new iMac?

Also, if you have an existing problem on file with Apple, does that mean they'll still provide you with free support on that existing issue even if your AC runs out? I'm guessing the answer is no, if they have sent you a replacement. They probably treat a replacement as a completion of AC responsibility on their end.

You may want to call and ask about all this though. Tell them it's been a problem since you bought it, and see what they offer to do. Can't hurt.

andrewfee
Feb 19, 2005, 07:48 AM
I've had a similar story to yours with my 20" iMac G5. I've had the midplane replaced for "grinding" fans, the hard drive die, had the machine away for two weeks to be looked at as it was crashing and beachballing a lot, (came back with no problems as they were intermittent and didn't show) the display was damaged when the system was being returned to me, and later that night, the replacement hard drive died on me.

With Apple if you have had three seperate faults (the hard drive and display are counting as one, as they'll be dealt with at the same time) and experience a fourth, that entitles you to a new system, or the chance to change to a different one while paying the difference.

I've spent at least 3/4 hours with Apple about my system overall, and it's not a cheap call, but in the end I finally got something done about it. Until you get your fourth problem, you will not be able to get a replacement machine; I was trying very hard to get it switched when I had my 3rd problem.

I've now got a 17" Powerbook on its way to me, and my iMac will be picked up next week though, so it worked out ok in the end.

I'm sorry to hear about your problems, but hopefully either your system will work perfectly from now on, or you will get the chance to get another machine.

edesignuk
Feb 19, 2005, 07:52 AM
It sucks that you've had these problems (I've had a new midplane too). When my problems continued after the new midplane I demanded a new machine, and I got it. Since then everythings been great on the new one.

Stop accepting replacement parts for a machine that has been DOA sence the beginning, and demand a new machine.

They'll try to say you can't have one, but that's just b***ocks. Demand it.