Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluap84

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 12, 2011
UK
I am looking to upgrade my current SD to something from the SanDisk range, i have been looking at this one in 16GB @20MB/s - its only £35.69 from play.com

The card will be for my GOPro Hero HD - i will normally be recording in this format > 720p = 1280×720 pixels (16:9), 60 fps, 15 Mbit/s data rate > 15Mbit/s seems to be the quickest the GOPro will transfer its data. So surely anything about 20MB/s would be wasted?

gameface

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2010
Boston, MA
I shoot Transcend. This class 10 card is 16 Mbit/s write and 20 read. Plenty fast enough for an 18MP DSLR shooting 720/60 so it will be fine for the Gopro. I had a few when I had my T2i and never had a problem.

Not sure what that equates to across the pond money wise, but it is a good value card.

bluap84

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 12, 2011
UK
I shoot Transcend. This class 10 card is 16 Mbit/s write and 20 read. Plenty fast enough for an 18MP DSLR shooting 720/60 so it will be fine for the Gopro. I had a few when I had my T2i and never had a problem.

Not sure what that equates to across the pond money wise, but it is a good value card.

Cheers dude, thats only £16.75 BARGAIN!
did you look at the edit i done... ? go on give it to me...i know i got a steeeeeeeeeeeeeeep learning curve

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
GoPro Tech

Here's a reply from tech support.
What I thought was a battery issue turned out user (stupid stupid) error :(

Sorry to hear abut the problem with your camera. How long does the battery actually last?

It sounds like your SD card may not be compatible with the HD HERO camera for video. What brand, capacity, and class rating SD card are you using?

Have you tried reformatting the card using the delete all function in the settings menu of the camera? Did you ever try out a different SD card in the camera?

We recommend name brand SD cards with a class 4 rating or higher, but have recently come to learn that even some name brand cards are having compatibility issues with the HD HERO camera.

We are currently working on doing a full listing of recommended (and not recommended) cards. We are researching further to determine why some cards are not adhering to the spec to which our SD card host adapter conforms. Internally we use Kingston or Patriot brand cards: 16GB, Class 4 without issue, so can safely recommend those.

Please do try out one of the Kingston or Patriot brand cards, and the video recording should work fine.

Let us know how it goes.

Many Thanks,

GoPro Support
http://www.gopro.com/support

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
hmm... good info there. Sucks that they are having issues with cards that should work fine.
I purchased a PNY 16GB Class 10 for my snowboard trip. Uggh stupid me should have got 32GB or two 16's :p
The PNY works great :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.