PDA

View Full Version : wireless charge

daman1212
Feb 19, 2005, 12:13 AM
wouldnt it be cool if apple could incorporate wireless charging features into their chords for the laptops? Then my ibook could really be "wireless". I found a site where a mobile phone company is working on this.
http://www.electronicsweekly.com/Article31452.htm

killuminati
Feb 19, 2005, 01:08 AM
I'v always wondered about wireless charging. I imagined that there must be a way (something along the lines of 802.11 or bluetooth) and did some searching but could never find anything. I'm happy this is finally starting to be developed.

jackieonasses
Feb 19, 2005, 01:14 AM
Ya - my best friend is Nikolia Tesla... I have 3 Tesla coils running around...

my kids also have 3 arms! :D *

*note - i neither have kids or endorse the fact that Tesla coils cause mutation!

hehe

kyle

daman1212
Feb 19, 2005, 05:13 PM
i sort of thought that this could be possible if phones could do it. The only problem I could think of is interference but they could make the comp. search for the battery that you would previously had named or was already coded.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Feb 19, 2005, 05:35 PM
I have seen charging plates demonstrated, where the magnetic field in a plate actually charges the battery a small eletronic device placed on the plate. Quite awsome.

One problem when applying this to charging Laptops, iPods and modern cellphones springs to mind: I wouldn't let a strong magnetic field anywhere near any harddrive or memory card.

daman1212
Feb 19, 2005, 05:42 PM
I wouldn't let a strong magnetic field anywhere near any harddrive or memory card.

That's a good point, I just did not know that there were magnets involved. I remember the first thing I learned in computer class, "No Magnets Near the Computers."

Are magnets the only thing that you could use to do this or could you use something else?

Peterkro
Feb 19, 2005, 05:48 PM
In theory you could use Radio Waves but the transmitter would be the size of a closet and it would be very hard to stop charging every other piece of metal or electrical equipment in the area. :D

daman1212
Feb 19, 2005, 05:51 PM
it would be very hard to stop charging every other piece of metal or electrical equipment in the area. :D

Maybe different frequencies would solve this. Such as remote control cars.

Peterkro
Feb 19, 2005, 05:54 PM
It would help but its the amount of RF power required it would be pretty high to charge a laptop.