PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth Personal Hotspot in iOS 4.3

meekgeek
Mar 10, 2011, 09:00 AM
Turns out iOS 4.3 allows the Bluetooth to act as a client, just like how a Mac can connect to the Internet Tethering feature on the iPhone before iOS 4.3.

So now our iPads can connect to iPhone 3G and 3GS via Bluetooth. All you need to do is to pair up the devices. This might save up some battery juice since Bluetooth takes up less power than WiFi.

A more detailed writeup is available at: http://meekgeek.tumblr.com/post/3763709075/bluetooth-personal-hotspot-in-ios-4-3

So now all our WiFi iPads can get some of that internet love while on the go. :)

Cheers!

danmc00
Mar 10, 2011, 09:53 AM
So is the personal hotspot free with my iPhone 4 or do I have to add something to my bill?

jclardy
Mar 10, 2011, 10:39 AM
So is the personal hotspot free with my iPhone 4 or do I have to add something to my bill?

On AT&T you have to add the $20 tethering package, in addition to the $25 2GB plan.

53x12
Mar 10, 2011, 10:40 AM
And if you have unlimited data, you will say byebye to that.

hefeglass
Mar 10, 2011, 10:42 AM
so does that mean bluetooth tethering with mywi 4 will also now work with the new ipad?

I have been wanting to tether my ipad and iphone 4 together using bt instead of wifi...not to mention, last time i started up mywi in the airport in vegas...i had like 15 people around me immediately jump on my hotspot...(quickly locked it down after that,..never had a reason to prior..lol)

meekgeek
Mar 10, 2011, 11:21 AM
MyWi is WiFi tethering.

This is Bluetooth tethering (without jailbreaks involved) which in your airport scenario would be most ideal because there is a pairing process, which ensures nobody else can use your connection.

so does that mean bluetooth tethering with mywi 4 will also now work with the new ipad?

I have been wanting to tether my ipad and iphone 4 together using bt instead of wifi...not to mention, last time i started up mywi in the airport in vegas...i had like 15 people around me immediately jump on my hotspot...(quickly locked it down after that,..never had a reason to prior..lol)

michaelz
Mar 10, 2011, 11:34 AM
It doesn't work for me. iPad has iOS4.3, iPhone has iOS 4.2.1 jailbroken, tethering enabled by tetherme. Anyone?

michaelz
Mar 10, 2011, 11:55 AM
It doesn't work for me. iPad has iOS4.3, iPhone has iOS 4.2.1 jailbroken, tethering enabled by tetherme. Anyone?

Tried few more times, it works! No need to jailbreak my iPad2. And I may just get a wifi version instead of 3G:D

iphone1105
Mar 10, 2011, 01:08 PM
MyWi is WiFi tethering.

This is Bluetooth tethering (without jailbreaks involved) which in your airport scenario would be most ideal because there is a pairing process, which ensures nobody else can use your connection.

Ummm, MyWi absolutely offers Bluetooth tethering, as well as USB tethering....bad info bro

sam2428
Mar 10, 2011, 01:38 PM
If i have an android phone with an app that allows for bluetooth tethering will this work for the ipad2 without having to jailbreak? I have an unlimited data plan on my phone currently through tmobile

Mad Mac Maniac
Mar 10, 2011, 01:42 PM
wait... so in order to do this do we still need to activate personal hotspot (thus paying all necessary charges)?

At first I was thinking this was a free workaround (in which case ROCK ON) if not then who really cares... haha

michaelz
Mar 10, 2011, 03:48 PM
wait... so in order to do this do we still need to activate personal hotspot (thus paying all necessary charges)?

At first I was thinking this was a free workaround (in which case ROCK ON) if not then who really cares... haha

JB your iphone 4 + TetherMe works great with iPad2

Mad Mac Maniac
Mar 10, 2011, 06:45 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yeah I plan on doing that as soon as a 4.3 jailbreak is released. I haven't jailbroken since iOS 3.1 or something...

Macopotamus
Mar 10, 2011, 07:05 PM
Is TetherMe better than MyWi? does it work on 4.2.1 and 4.3?

hefeglass
Mar 10, 2011, 07:16 PM
MyWi is WiFi tethering.

NO..like someone already pointed out..mywi offers as much functionality as the built in tethering software...wifi, bluetooth, or usb..
and it also has the abilitiy to turn on and off automatically when you turn on your ipad! its been updated with tons of features...

so...i guess that means you dont know if it will work?

seems like if it is just something that is now allowing the ipad to tether via bluetooth..then it shouldnt matter how the bt network is being shared..either mywi or other tethering app

ghostlyorb
Mar 10, 2011, 08:27 PM
And if you have unlimited data, you will say byebye to that.

Nope.. just get MyWi.. =)

meekgeek
Mar 10, 2011, 08:28 PM
Apologies for the confusion. I stopped jailbreaking sometime back and did not know that MyWi also supports Bluetooth. My bad.

Just trying to share the fact that the iPad on iOS 4.3 can now connect to Bluetooth shared devices without any jailbreaking.

Great for those who are bummed out that Apple only enabled WiFi hotspots on iPhone 4 but not on iPhone 3GS, and still wanted a way to connect their WiFi iPads to their 3GS.

Hope this helps!

michaelz
Mar 10, 2011, 09:07 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

This is today's most useful thread, thanks OP. I planned to JB my ipad and install iTether to Bluetooth with my IP4. Now, problem solved, no more JB for iPad!

sam2428
Mar 10, 2011, 09:21 PM
wirelessly posted (mozilla/5.0 (iphone; u; cpu iphone os 4_2_1 like mac os x; en-us) applewebkit/533.17.9 (khtml, like gecko) mobile/8c148)

this is today's most useful thread, thanks op. I planned to jb my ipad and install itether to bluetooth with my ip4. Now, problem solved, no more jb for ipad!

+1

meekgeek
Mar 10, 2011, 11:03 PM
If i have an android phone with an app that allows for bluetooth tethering will this work for the ipad2 without having to jailbreak? I have an unlimited data plan on my phone currently through tmobile

In theory it should work since iOS 4.3 can now act as a Bluetooth tethering client. Do let us know if it works for Android too!

sam2428
Mar 10, 2011, 11:22 PM
In theory it should work since iOS 4.3 can now act as a Bluetooth tethering client. Do let us know if it works for Android too!

I'll post back when i find out (unless someone beats me to it). I wont be getting my iPad for a few weeks since my girlfriend wants to buy it for me but wont give it to me until our anniversary lol. women...

flaming homer
Mar 11, 2011, 09:54 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

This is today's most useful thread, thanks OP. I planned to JB my ipad and install iTether to Bluetooth with my IP4. Now, problem solved, no more JB for iPad!
+2 - been itching to JB my iPad just so that I can use the cheap data on my Android phone running Wi-Fi Tether (v2.0.6 http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/downloads/list) via Bluetooth, now with iOS 4.3 there is no need to JB the iPad anymore. Tried it out and works wonderfully.

Best feature of iOS 4.3 IMHO

MJedi
Mar 11, 2011, 12:38 PM
Tried this between my 3GS and iPad. They see each other, and can pair, but the iPad says "Connection Unsuccessful. Make sure iPhone is turned on and in range." They are right next to each other, and is turned on. :rolleyes:

My 3GS is still running 3.1.2, but tethering is enabled with a patch from Cydia. My MacBooks are able to tether via Bluetooth. The link mentions tethering must be enabled for those before iOS 4.3, but maybe it won't work with iOS 3.

Oh well, it was worth a shot.

flaming homer
Mar 11, 2011, 12:45 PM
Tried this between my 3GS and iPad. They see each other, and can pair, but the iPad says "Connection Unsuccessful. Make sure iPhone is turned on and in range." They are right next to each other, and is turned on. :rolleyes:

My 3GS is still running 3.1.2, but tethering is enabled with a patch from Cydia. My MacBooks are able to tether via Bluetooth. The link mentions tethering must be enabled for those before iOS 4.3, but maybe it won't work with iOS 3.

Oh well, it was worth a shot.Not a iPhone user but in the case of Android Wifi Tether to work the Tether program has to be running first on the Android, otherwise I get a "Connection Unsuccessful" on the un-jailbroken iOS 4.3 iPad even thought they see each other

MJedi
Mar 11, 2011, 12:50 PM
Not a iPhone user but in the case of Android Wifi Tether to work the Tether program has to be running first on the Android, otherwise I get a "Connection Unsuccessful" on the un-jailbroken iOS 4.3 iPad even thought they see each other

Yup. Tethering was on before I paired them. I even confirmed that tethering still works by connecting my MacBook Air to the 3GS using Bluetooth.

iphone1105
Mar 11, 2011, 01:06 PM
I can say iTether(on iP4 4.2.1) tethers via Bluetooth to iPad on 4.3 flawlessly. I used it for an hour yesterday while on a l dinner meeting.

cushionhead
May 3, 2011, 06:20 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_7; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.21.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.5 Safari/533.21.1)

SO...I have an non-JB iPhone 4 with an unlimited data plan (the $20 one...yay) and I want to tether it to a wifi only iPad2. I don't want to lose my unlimited plan, so what's the best way to do this? I don't care too much about multiple users, etc--I just want to share the unlimited data with my wifi iPad.

russr
May 4, 2011, 11:17 AM
Bluetooth tethering to an iPhone or an android device such as the DroidX works, but the data rate is very slow. You're getting 150 to 300kbps tops which is worse than 3G let alone WiFi. It's okay for light web browsing, but not good for video watching.