PDA

View Full Version : Methods to increase storage on ipad 2

UNCMo96
Mar 10, 2011, 11:09 AM
I am thinking about picking up a 16 gig Ipad tomorrow. This is more than enough for files + apps but I'd like to have expandable storage mostly for media.

I've read about a few options that I had questions about:

1. Camera Connection Kit.
From what I understand you can stick a USB flash drive in the CCK and have folder called DCIM and stick pictures and videos in this folder which will be usable by the iPad.
Is this true?
Does this work for music as well?
Does it copy files to the iPad or work with the files on the Flash drive?
Will this work for USB hard drives as well? (without Jailbreaking)
If you use a program like goodreader or fileapp can you view/edit document (i.e. non video or pictures) files stored on a USB flash drive?

2. Airstash
If you use this can you use something like goodreader or fileapp to view nonmedia files on the airstash?

zhenya
Mar 10, 2011, 11:17 AM
You can use an app like Air Video which installs a helper program on a computer at home, and then will feed you content on the fly to an iOS device. I really like ZumoCast, but unfortunately it is no longer available.

Another great aspect of a program like this is that it removes the need to transcode video - you can point it at a folder of videos of virtually any type, and it will deliver the video to the iOS device while the host computer does the transcoding.

In practice, how well this works as storage replacement depends. 3g works great for audio, not so well for video in many places. And as good as these UI's are - to me it's a poor substitute for using the iPod app directly. My primary use of Zumocast has ended up being for transcoding video as described above.

nixiemaiden
Mar 10, 2011, 11:41 AM
The camera connection kit doesn't work well with USB drives since most of them draw their power from the USB port (the camera connector adapter doesn't provide enough power for these to function. It is more for connecting your camera to.

The sd card works for this very well though as long as the videos are non drm and in a supported format. The videos from my camera don't work unless I convert them. I have ripped a DVD and put it in a good format and was able to copy it from the sd card to the iPad and watch it on the iPad.

It doesn't work for movies that you need to sync through itunes.

darngooddesign
Mar 10, 2011, 12:52 PM
You can use an app like Air Video which installs a helper program on a computer at home, and then will feed you content on the fly to an iOS device. I really like ZumoCast, but unfortunately it is no longer available.

However, this relies on a data connection and if you have one it doesn't play nice with data caps.

The camera connection kit doesn't work well with USB drives since most of them draw their power from the USB port (the camera connector adapter doesn't provide enough power for these to function. It is more for connecting your camera to.

What about USB thumb drives, not traditional drives with a USB cable?

zhenya
Mar 10, 2011, 01:01 PM
However, this relies on a data connection and if you have one it doesn't play nice with data caps.

That's true. However each of the other options he's looking at cost a not insignificant amount of money. The Air Stash costs $100 plus the cost of the SD card(s). Why not just spend the money on an iPad with more storage??

UNCMo96
Mar 10, 2011, 02:17 PM
The airstash is actually looking more appealing
Cost wise you could get a 32 gb sd card for 50 bucks and the airstash for 100. The airstash also replaced the 30 dollar camera kit connector. So it's somewhat more cost effective (ipad 64gb is 700, CCK is 30=730, Istash +2 32 sd cards + 16gb ipad = 80gb storage + repaces the CCK for 700.
Plus if SD cards prices drop you can always get more storage. As per their website you can now use the airstash for all documents and not just media: http://news.airstash.com/

I guess in an ideal world it would nice to just plug something into an ipad and expand its storage without much fuss. But if i want to start moving in all my home movies, pictures, and music it would take a lot of space and would fill up even the 64gb that's why I was hoping for a solution that didn't limit me to the storage on the device.

I'm not so worried about the connection. I have a rooted android phone and the wifi tether works well on a borrowed ipad1.

What about using the CCK with a flash drive?
Can I use something like goodreader or fileapp to paruse (non media files). What about music, movies, pictures?

zhenya
Mar 10, 2011, 02:43 PM
Cost wise you could get a 32 gb sd card for 50 bucks and the airstash for 100. The airstash also replaced the 30 dollar camera kit connector. So it's somewhat more cost effective plus if SD cards prices drop you can always get more storage.

I guess in an ideal world it would nice to just plug something into an ipad and expand its storage without much fuss. But if i want to start moving in all my home movies, pictures, and music it would take a lot of space and would fill up even the 64gb that's why I was hoping for a solution that didn't limit me to the storage on the device.

I'm not so worried about the connection. I have a rooted android phone and the wifi tether works well on a borrowed ipad1.

What about using the CCK with a flash drive?
Can I use something like goodreader or fileapp to paruse (non media files). What about music, movies, pictures?

And for $200 you can have 64GB of on-board storage. No external storage system is going to be near as convenient as having it integrated into the device. I especially fail to see how an expensive system that operates on a battery, requires wifi, and would require multiple SD cards to equal the capacity of the 64GB available on the iPad is good value.

omyard
Mar 11, 2011, 01:43 AM
I use AirVideo to stream non-iTunes video content, iSub to stream music when I'm not home and now I use Home Sharing for music and videos loaded in iTunes.

I use to use Simplify for photos, but since Google gobbled them up I haven't looked for a good replacement. There is probably more then. Few out there now though.

Then you could use Evernote or Google Docs for various documents.

Romeosc
Mar 26, 2012, 03:43 PM
And for $200 you can have 64GB of on-board storage. No external storage system is going to be near as convenient as having it integrated into the device. I especially fail to see how an expensive system that operates on a battery, requires wifi, and would require multiple SD cards to equal the capacity of the 64GB available on the iPad is good value.

AirStash creates it's on wifi network plus you can take an SD card full of pictures, import to iPad, insert blank SD card and copy pictures and files to new SD card for a safe copy while still traveling. I am going on. A Safari to Tanzania and want to back up irreplaceable pictures while in field with no electricity. I can charge devices from safari vehicle!

Best little device for IOS made!

cep1ba
Dec 13, 2012, 09:37 AM
The iPad doesn't supply enough power for a normal usb flash drive via the camera connection kit. However, you can transfer photos and videos directly to and from an sd card and you don't need a 100 wireless usb drive. For a cheaper option see http://www.ipaddvdtransfer.co.uk/