Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

141617-changewave_feb11_tablet_plans.jpg

ChangeWave Research today released the results of a February survey of U.S. professionals and early-adopter consumers showing that even before the unveiling of the iPad 2 customers were continuing to turn to the iPad when considering tablet purchases. According to the report, 82% of surveyed customers who were planning to purchase a tablet were looking to acquire an iPad, with competitors such as the Motorola Xoom, Research in Motion BlackBerry PlayBook, and Samsung Galaxy Tab all barely registering in the 3-4% range each.

Apple's iPad also continues to enjoy stellar consumer satisfaction ratings, with 70% of users registering as "very satisfied" and an additional 25% pegging their position as "somewhat satisfied".

In taking a broader look at tablet customers' buying preferences, the survey also found that tablets, dominated by the iPad, continue to eat into planned purchases of devices such as eReaders and portable PCs, with 17% of tablet-owning respondents reporting that they put on hold or canceled the purchase of a Kindle because of their tablet purchase. Netbooks and traditional notebooks also took a hit, with 10-11% of tablet purchasers reporting that they had delayed or canceled planned purchases in each of those categories of devices.

141617-changewave_feb11_wireless_plans.jpg

Finally, ChangeWave surveyed customers planning to purchase an iPad in the near future about wireless service, finding that 24% of customers planned to purchase AT&T service, compared to 17% planning to use Verizon service and 27% opting for Wi-Fi only. An additional 30% were undecided. Notably, Verizon's solid appeal was present even before Apple unveiled the new iPad with built-in support for Verizon's network. With the original iPad, customers looking to use Verizon service have been limited to Wi-Fi iPad models paired with MiFi hotspot devices.

Article Link: iPad Continues to Dominate Tablet Purchasing Plans, Eating Into eReaders and Portable PCs

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Considering the first serious competitor to the ipad didn't come out until this year, I'd wait a year to really see how well the ipad is doing.

SBeardsl

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2007
I'd be interested (not pay for the report interested but interested) to see the customer satisfaction ratings for the Galaxy Tab to compare to the iPad.

La Porta

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2006
They compare tablets with netbooks/laptops, but I'd also like to see if they are having an effect against desktops as well. I know that for years laptops have been gaining ground against desktop PCs, but do the tablets only take away from those planning to buy portable computers, or do they also swing those that have been contemplating a desktop, as well?

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
The real story here is how the heck are all the other players going to make it fighting for a piece of 20-30% of a 50K unit market?

Seems as though a couple will stand out and the rest will struggle to find they're footing in the market and some will just bow out.

The thing that is most unique about tablets is they can be part of the information and entertainment eco system and if they are not part of one, their use and value goes way down in the minds of the general consumer.

I will be picking up my iPad killer tomorrow... the iPad2.

Me too! For the daughter. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
I like my iPad, but the HP Touchpad is the most interesting device on the horizon. Unfortunately it is extremely unlikely that WebOS will get the developer support that it needs to really succeed.

drake

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2005
Have the current Kindle, wouldn't trade it for an iPoop. :p

When are they going to get back to basics and update the Macbook (hopefully not the way the "updated" the Pro).

Robin4

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
RTD-NC
In my case, I seem to fit in pretty much with the results of the survey. I bought my iPad at the Apple store. I've delayed buying a new laptop, my G4 is still kicking, I don't use it as much anymore. I'm buying an iPad2 for my son's b'day. Satisfaction - 90%.

BTW, someone I know is considering engraving his new iPad "till death do us part", lol.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Those are the purchase estimates. The more important number will come after factoring in the actual return rates for all these tablets.

I expect the iPad 2 and Kindle 3 will dominate even more.

camelsnot

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2011
aww that is soooo cute. Posting charts and stacking up the ipad versus other tablets that JUST hit the market or aren't really out yet. It's one thing to be a fanboy but another to distort reality. :rolleyes:

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Considering the first serious competitor to the ipad didn't come out until this year, I'd wait a year to really see how well the ipad is doing.

Wait a year until the first serious competitor comes out?

When did one come out?

I just see lesser and more expensive ipad clones. They are certainly not going to do anything.

What do you think the Xoom will be doing a year from now?

Have the current Kindle, wouldn't trade it for an iPoop. :p

When are they going to get back to basics and update the Macbook (hopefully not the way the "updated" the Pro).

Why do you want an updated macbook when you can just buy a ti calculator? That is along the lines of you comparing an iPad to a kindle.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Hmm...I think i remember you saying this in a previous post...and it makes me wonder. Hmmm...uh, oh yeah...Im getting one for my, uh , daughter too. Dont be afraid to profess your love for girly iDevices to us pal...youre in good company my friend.

LOL! No worries... I'd love one for myself too, but the daughter needs one more and to be honest... it's to drive my x-Wife nutty! She hates Apple stuff because I loved them so much... even back in the 80's when we got married... so... having more Apple gear in the house (where my daughter lives now) will drive her batty! So really... it's iRevenge! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.