Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 8, 2002
As you can tell from my signature I am a pretty big fan of the iPad. :);)

I finally have run into a situation which may force me to use my household iMac when I'd MUCH rather use my iPad, particularly because the iPad is perfectly suited for the task at hand. Except that it requires flash.

My wife and I purchased the French language Rosetta stone software. It comes with both CDs and online access (to the same content as on the CDs). We put the CDs on my wife's laptop, and I'd hoped to use the online access on my iPad.

I have skyfire installed, But the problem is that when you log in the first thing it tries to do is see if your system has flash. So I can't use skyfire's translation capability (or whatever it's called) as it doesn't get that far.

Any thoughts? Do any browsers identify as having flash installed? That might do the trick, then I can use skyfire to do the actual lessons.

TIA.

Ashwood11

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2010
US
Won't help now, but -

Whenever I am surfing and encounter a web site that has flash content, I use their contact link, or e-mail, to ask that they make their content available as HTML5. If all 15 million iPad users did this regularly it would encourage these web sites to make the switch. I did this with the BBC news web site and then discovered that the BBC had an app on the App Store that would access compatible video.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 8, 2002
Good suggestion and I have now done that. I do fear that Rosetta is sufficiently big and monolithic that they are not likely to be all that responsive. They only recently even started offering online access to their content. Prior to that it was CDs or nothing (!)

Their iPhone app is 'okay' but limited in functionality, and thus effectiveness, compared to the cd/online content. They *could* make an iPad app that was feature/function parity with the cd/online stuff. So I also suggested that :)

We'll see...

ZilogZ80

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
If your ipad is JB you can install Frash. I haven't ever found any Flash content it can actually play, but any websites that check for Flash will detect that you have version 10.0r22 (which is fairly recent) so you should be able to get past the Flash troll-bridge on the Rosetta site and then use Skyfire.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.