Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SR20DETDOG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2011
Queensland Australia
Hi everyone,

At the moment I'm developing a website and am hosting it on Webs for free (I'm very tight on money, saving for first car, new Mac etc) but this gives me a very limited amount of storage space and bandwidth. While it will be fine for a while I think it will run out reasonable fast as more and more content will go on the website.

My Idea is to host the bigger files (All .zip files for people to download) some where else and simply have a link to them on the website as I would have anyway.

This will obviously solve the problem of limited storage space, but will it also help to use less bandwidth? Or would hosting them with Webs not have used much anyway?

Last edited:

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
You are basically moving the bandwidth requirements to another server. It depends on what the second host allows.

SR20DETDOG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2011
Queensland Australia
You are basically moving the bandwidth requirements to another server. It depends on what the second host allows.
That sounds promising.
My plan is to host the files from my Dropbox, giving me a good 2GB of space from the 40MB I think I have now. I'm not sure how bandwidth works with Dropbox since it's not a web host. I assume it will work fine, otherwise I'll just have to cough up some money :(

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
That sounds promising.
My plan is to host the files from my Dropbox, giving me a good 2GB of space from the 40MB I think I have now. I'm not sure how bandwidth works with Dropbox since it's not a web host. I assume it will work fine, otherwise I'll just have to cough up some money :(

Are Dropbox items accessible from a browser?

kakle

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2011
https://www.dropbox.com/help/45

We watch carefully for any fraudulent use of Dropbox public links and will suspend suspicious links when they are detected. Links that use up more than 10GB/day for Basic (free) accounts and 250GB/day for Pro (paid) accounts are automatically suspended.

10GB/day bandwidth transfer for basic accounts, that's pretty impressive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.