Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ump3

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2003
Does anyone know if it ok to have a firewire cable attached to my Mac (a G4 867) with nothing attached to the other end? I have a camcorder which I occasinally attach via the cable but its a pain to keep disconnecting the lead each time? thanks

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Mechcozmo said:
You've tested this? :eek:
I don't know about Peterkro, but I find that dipping the Firewire cable into my Starbucks black-eye (strong coffee plus two extra espresso shots) tends to speed it up noticeably. However, it does tend to get cranky if I don't do this a few times a day, now that it's used to it.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
jsw said:
I don't know about Peterkro, but I find that dipping the Firewire cable into my Starbucks black-eye (strong coffee plus two extra espresso shots) tends to speed it up noticeably. However, it does tend to get cranky if I don't do this a few times a day, now that it's used to it.

if i remember correctly it was a cup of hot tea that would enable the improbability drive.......

hitchhiker guide anyone?

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
andiwm2003 said:
if i remember correctly it was a cup of hot tea that would enable the improbability drive.......

hitchhiker guide anyone?

It was a piece of cake and some tea that made the drive appear out of nowhere. See, the cake and tea mixed made the improbability of the drive appearing so great that it appeared. The janitor that created it was then beaten by scientists who didn't like smart-asses.

dotnina

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
Hey, not to hijack the thread, but I have a related question: is the cable sucking up power with just one end connected? And is the situation any different if you have, say, a cell phone charger plugged into the wall with no cell phone attached? Just wondering. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.