Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr.NYC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
is there a more efficient way to close out an app without having to also go down to the dock look which one has the little glow dot letting you know its still running and hit quit there as well, i am new to mac but i love everything about it, i just like to make my laptop cater to my liking.

i would like to just hit the red X on the top left of the page and CLOSED

i know its to allow you to get into your most currently most used applications quicker but just wanted to know

illi4ever

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2011
Belgium, Tongeren
The red X doesn't close the application (program) itself, only the instance you where using. This makes it faster to open another instance since you don't have to load the program anymore.

If you want to close something permanently: go to File -> quit
or hit command + q

eaf7s

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2009
The easiest thing to do is command + q. Even easier than moving the cursor up to the x ;) . And a four finger swipe to the right or left will quickly show you what you've actually got open, and allow you to switch between the applications.

rareflares

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2004
Washington D.C.
It's always been a habit of mine to fully quit applications after I'm done using them but if you have the RAM, it's probably faster for you to just leave them open.

Blu101

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2010
Applications which by their nature have only a single window do close when you click on the red dot.

Yup, like the calculator.

For others that don't close with the window, I find command + Q to be the easiest way. Feels weird at first, especially coming from pc, but once your fingers get used to the key combo, takes a split sec and you don't even think about it, becomes 2nd nature.

Mr.NYC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
thanks apple heads

Yup, like the calculator.

For others that don't close with the window, I find command + Q to be the easiest way. Feels weird at first, especially coming from pc, but once your fingers get used to the key combo, takes a split sec and you don't even think about it, becomes 2nd nature.

thanks i am now getting use to the command Q and using the 4 finger wipe to show me running apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.