PDA

View Full Version : Would you like Mac OS X Lion on your ipad?

hssky97
Mar 11, 2011, 08:38 AM
Well, if OS X Lion is Mac OS meets iPad....shouldn't you have the option to run it on both devices?

Lord Appleseed
Mar 11, 2011, 08:45 AM
Well, if OS X Lion is Mac OS meets iPad....shouldn't you have the option to run it on both devices?

If I actually had one, it would sure be nice to be able to run Lion.
Its just that the iPad was not made to be a Mac replacement but a new device...so I do not think it was intended to run Mac OS X.

Hansr
Mar 11, 2011, 09:26 AM
No you're thinking like Microsoft. The iPad is popular because it's not just another computer in the form of a tablet.

hssky97
Mar 11, 2011, 09:45 AM
No you're thinking like Microsoft. The iPad is popular because it's not just another computer in the form of a tablet.

Hmmm...your right :D Although, isn't it just a bigger ipod touch? :confused:

baryon
Mar 11, 2011, 11:03 AM
It would be aweeesomeee, except for the following tiny little problems:

OS X would eat up all the RAM, CPU power and battery life of the iPad instantly
OS X is designed to run Apps that require a mouse and a keyboard
OS X is also designed to be used with a mouse and a keyboard, not a touch screen

Wouldn't you think Apple would have put OS X on the iPad right from the start if they could? Why would they develop a completely new OS just for the iPad? Because a Mac and the iPad are so different in hardware that it would not work.

vincenz
Mar 11, 2011, 11:09 AM
In short, no. Nothing wrong with the way it is now.

shstiger2009
Mar 11, 2011, 11:09 AM

Did you just go there? Oh boy. :rolleyes:

antmarobel
Mar 11, 2011, 02:28 PM
Actually it is already running on iPad/iPhone and it's known as iOS. Now it's only being introduced to Macs...:D

ufkdo
Mar 11, 2011, 02:54 PM
Lion's itself will be like 7-8 GB, will need at least 2 GBs of RAM. Besides, its UI is not designed for multitouch screens. As an option in poll says, is would be a stupid idea.

But, I think in about 2-3 years, there will be just one os for macs and i devices and different UIs.

hssky97
Mar 19, 2011, 07:57 PM
Did you just go there? Oh boy. :rolleyes:

Lol! I know, that's for another forum...jk. :rolleyes:

Nishi100
Mar 20, 2011, 07:28 AM
On a dual boot system: Yes.
On its own: No.

dethmaShine
Mar 20, 2011, 10:26 AM
The iPad (if MacPad) wouldn't have existed if it were to run Mac OS X. Something that has happened to all the other window tablets.

As far as my opinion is concerned, NO, an absolute NO.

But if we are concerned about the UI, I think iOS 5 is going to borrow a lot from Mac OS X Lion. The premium design has always been missing from iOS. For e.g., the pop-overs, sliders, etc look 'bad' in iOS. I wish they borrow the UI elements from Mac OS X lion and use the same in iOS 5.
It might be difficult for old apps to accommodate those changes but they can always update to the redesign.

As for other features, its a matter of time iOS goes more pro; but Mac OS X is not needed.

mrsir2009
Mar 20, 2011, 12:54 PM
iOS and OSX are slowly merging, but its a bit early still ;)

michael.lauden
Mar 20, 2011, 01:01 PM
[...]Nothing wrong with the way it is now.

that's what borders said, and barnes&noble continued innovating. hmm

MattInOz
Mar 20, 2011, 06:33 PM
iOS and OSX are slowly merging, but its a bit early still ;)

iOS is a sub-set of OS X So I don't think we should use the word Merge in relation to either of their developments. That said iOS as it stands now is a branch of OS X we could see in Lion that the two align and that iOS becomes a strict subset of the mainline OS instead of a branch. Most sign point to this being Apple's plan all along.

Which would be great for Developers* they wouldn't have to worry the underlying technology of each other than than how it effects sensible user interaction on each, which is what they should be thinking about anyway.

*Remembering Apple are Developers on as well, as of their own platform.

roadbloc
Mar 21, 2011, 04:46 AM

Yes. However, it works, unlike navigating a full computer OS on a touchscreen interface.

acfusion29
Mar 21, 2011, 10:20 AM
i would buy an iPad if it was running OS X. even if it's a bit watered down, i wouldn't have a problem with it.

i have iOS on my iPhone.

hssky97
Mar 21, 2011, 05:42 PM
Hmmm.... Interesting replies...It's somewhat of a toss up, I would go w/no though. Too bad there isn't an un-vote button:rolleyes:

mrsir2009
Mar 21, 2011, 10:00 PM
Yes. However, it works, unlike navigating a full computer OS on a touchscreen interface.

Which is where Windows XP tablet edition failed.

kushed
Mar 22, 2011, 02:04 AM
the point of "iOS" is to keep the similarity between OS and the iPhones
iPad software.. putting Lion on such a small unit would be a stupid idea.. besides Lion is a crossbread between the two anyway. so youd be better off sticking with the original OS for that platform. theres a reason apple put it on there

sammich
Mar 22, 2011, 02:07 AM
Steve,

I want Lion on my iPad. When?

hssky97

----

Use VNC.

Steve.