Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C-DAWG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
This is my 1st post on these boards. I have been surfing here for a while, but only made an account to ask this question. Cliff-notes to my story are at the bottom if you don't care about the details.

I know this whole macbook pro + heat issue has been beaten to death on these forums, but I gotta ask anyways. My previous computer was a 13" Dell XPS with the 8400M vid card that had a tendency to go toast. I had one go bad on me within 6 months. After that, I was extremely paranoid any time the computer got hot at all. That computer stayed on a stand that aided in airflow to the computer. It didn't die on me again. This was 3 years ago.

Fast forward to now. I am finishing up my 4th year of grad school and decided it was time to get a new computer. I just bought a 13" i5 macbook pro to write manuscripts for publishing in journals, to write my dissertation on, and for some monotonous internet surfing/counter-strike gaming on the side. I consider myself a very light user in terms of needed computing power. Typical programs that are open are ms office, iTunes, and chemdraw (I'm an organic chemist). I decided on the 13" because of cost and portability. I figured that counter-strike is a 7 year old game, surely this computer could handle the graphics on a level that I can tolerate (I was planning on playing with low settings. Anyways, I download the game last night and booted it up this morning. The temperatures quickly got up to the mid 90s and hovered there. My main concern is long-term head exposure and the possible degradation that could result. This computer CANNOT crash. Yes, I have applecare and I back up everyday with time machine, but that isn't the point for me. I'd rather not play the game if it is gonna cause this computer to have problems, especially until around this time next year (my projected defense date).

I realize that people are gonna say, "If you are that concerned about it, just don't play the game." All I really want to know is this temperature level perfectly safe for long periods of time (an hour or two a day over years of use)? Would the use of one of those stands that increases airflow to the computer reduce the temperature any substantial amount (the old stand + computer has been employed by my wife for her own use at her business so it is unavailable for me to try out)? Also, I'm not going to tear apart the computer and reapply the thermal adhesive to the heat sinks and void my applecare warranty. I'm mainly paranoid to this because I've had a computer die because of heat issues, luckily it was under warranty at the time. Thanks for any remarks to this issue...

Cliff-notes: Played counter-strike on 13" i5 MBP, computer got to 95 degrees and hovered there. Is this temperature over a long period of time going to destroy the computer?

Gen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
You're fine.
Your computer will take care of itself. Fans will ramp up if it gets too hot, and if it gets to the point of ridiculously hot your computer will shut itself down.

However, if you're still worried get smcFanControl - with which you can set your fan speeds to run at certain rpms all the time.

FnuGk

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2009
Google smcFanControl. it lets you set the rpm speed of the fan. on my 13" 2010 mbp the default is 2000rpm thats completely silent but if i do some video encoding it gets very hot so i set it to 6000 rpm. though it sounds like an airplane taking off it not noticeable if i put my headphones on fire up some music

djxavier

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2011
I get the same temps when I play, and I personally haven't given it a second thought. I'd like to see what everyone else has to say. I've been looking around at notebook coolers as a result of the temps as well.

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
This is nothing worth worrying about. Adjusting your speeds manually is really not necessary for most users. Apple engineered these things with certain parameters and a game of CS isn't going to violate those. So, its gonna heat up and the fan will spin more. If it gets too got the system will shut down.

Nothing to worry about.

Tapiwa

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2011
It's completely normal, just enjoy your game...
And crank up the sound to cover the noise from those fans :D

adztaylor

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2009
Preston, UK
Modern day components are designed to withstand high temperatures, as whats been said if it gets to a temperature where its dangerous your computer will switch off to avoid damage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.