PDA

View Full Version : Please recommend an iPad bag

9OOYO
Mar 11, 2011, 10:50 AM
I almost prefer some type of man purse I can slide a sleeves or cased iPad 2 into.

The Templebags Leather looks awesome but is a small fortune!

leenak
Mar 11, 2011, 10:56 AM
What about the Tom Bihn bags? They have an iPad specific bag but their other bags look nice and easily fit an iPad sleeve.

I ordered a Rickshaw messenger bag myself.

9OOYO
Mar 11, 2011, 11:01 AM
What about the Tom Bihn bags? They have an iPad specific bag but their other bags look nice and easily fit an iPad sleeve.

I ordered a Rickshaw messenger bag myself.

The Rickshaw looks pretty great and will fit any future iPad too. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check out the Bihn too.

Tobster3
Mar 11, 2011, 06:43 PM
I bought the Tom Bihn Ristretto for iPad bag. Love it. Slightly pricey but it is a quality product. Has a great section for the iPad. Will continue to use it for another few years yet.

Tom G.
Mar 11, 2011, 10:24 PM
I highly recommend the Muzzetto bag by Waterfield Design in San Francisco. I've had one for over 8 months of hard usage and it still looks like the day I got it. It also has protected my iPad very well.

Clix Pix
Mar 11, 2011, 10:50 PM
I second the recommendation for the Muzetto bag. I love mine and have used it daily for months now -- it is great for the iPad and anything else I want to tuck into it. Today I didn't use it, as I needed and had a larger tote bag for the stuff I was taking with me for my survival kit while waiting in line for the iPad 2, but tomorrow my newest member of the "family" will have her first experience of going out somewhere with me, traveling comfortably in the Muzetto.

SchneiderMan
Mar 12, 2011, 01:20 AM
I highly recommend the Muzzetto bag by Waterfield Design in San Francisco. I've had one for over 8 months of hard usage and it still looks like the day I got it. It also has protected my iPad very well.

X3 that!

nixiemaiden
Mar 12, 2011, 07:45 AM
I second the recommendation for the Muzetto bag. I love mine and have used it daily for months now -- it is great for the iPad and anything else I want to tuck into it. Today I didn't use it, as I needed and had a larger tote bag for the stuff I was taking with me for my survival kit while waiting in line for the iPad 2, but tomorrow my newest member of the "family" will have her first experience of going out somewhere with me, traveling comfortably in the Muzetto.

What do you carry in your Muzetto and which size did you get? I want to replace my purse with something and it will either be this or maybe a large fossil handbag...

Last year I got a David king vertical messenger and loved it but the lining was garbage and ripped after only a few months.

jcb19
Mar 12, 2011, 08:43 AM
What do you carry in your Muzetto and which size did you get? I want to replace my purse with something and it will either be this or maybe a large fossil handbag....

I am currently using a Tom Bihn bag, bought long before iPad advent. While I love my Tom Bihn, I'm seriously considering the Muzetto. I am a woman, but not a girly girl and don't do purses; I too am interested in knowing the prevalent sizes folks are using. I'd want to put my iPad, Kindle, chargers, phone, iTouch and few other small odds and ends in the Muzetto bag. Is the Personal size going to be sufficient?

sparkstsa
Mar 12, 2011, 09:09 AM
I recommend the scout from STM.

http://www.stmbags.com/catalog/ipad-bags/scout-for-ipad-shoulder-bag/

http://static.stmbags.com/media/product/dp-0966-1_large.jpg

9OOYO
Mar 12, 2011, 05:28 PM

Clix and other Muzetto users.....do you use any kind of slip case to keep the iPad in while carrying in the Muzetto?

I love the Muzetto style and will most likely be ordering one!

9OOYO
Mar 14, 2011, 04:07 PM
Tom Bihn Ristretto got my business as he was the only bag maker who had my preference in color and make of his bag. STM, Waterfield etc...didn't have anything in stock.

Bihn seems to be fully stocked and ready for the iPad2 launch. It's a shame other bag makers weren't as prepared! Regardless of quality of a bag - it must be ready for the consumer!

Tom Bihn gets my business for his readiness! ;)

class77
Mar 14, 2011, 04:34 PM
Clix and other Muzetto users.....do you use any kind of slip case to keep the iPad in while carrying in the Muzetto?

I love the Muzetto style and will most likely be ordering one!

Check the site, they have several different kinds of slip cases. I'm going to get a Muzetto myself. Just trying to decide what color.

http://sfbags.com/

9OOYO
Mar 14, 2011, 04:44 PM
Check the site, they have several different kinds of slip cases. I'm going to get a Muzetto myself. Just trying to decide what color.

http://sfbags.com/

I truly wanted the Muzetto but would have a 1 month wait. Since I will be travelling this month I can't do it. I can't relate to a company who has a 1 month lead time on products. Do they not want to grow?

Seems kind of narrow minded when you have such a great, and highly recommended product!

Clix Pix
Mar 14, 2011, 05:03 PM
What do you carry in your Muzetto and which size did you get? I want to replace my purse with something and it will either be this or maybe a large fossil handbag...

Last year I got a David king vertical messenger and loved it but the lining was garbage and ripped after only a few months.

I love my Muzetto! It is the Portable size, which gives me plenty of room for the iPad and other stuff. Typically I carry my wallet, sunglasses, keys, comb, and of course the iPad. I have the slip case, too, but it used to be that I carried the iPad in the Apple iPad case most of the time. I am still fiddling around now with the best way to transport the new iPad with its Smart cover on, and for the moment I have tucked a RadTech cloth in there to protect the back of the iPad while the Smart cover works for the front. I have in the past also carried my Apple wireless keyboard in the Muzetto along with the iPad and that works just fine. This was on a trip, but normally such as right now I am fine with just typing on the iPad's own keyboard.

lmg74
Mar 14, 2011, 05:32 PM
After I saw Clix's pics of her Muzetto bag in another thread, I had to have one! I placed my order last week for the portable size but ended up emailing them to upgrade it to the 13". I'm so anxious to get it!!

hitekalex
Mar 14, 2011, 06:34 PM
WaterField Designs Portable Muzetto. Second to none.. if you can afford it ;)

http://notebooks.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/muzetto_large_main_lg.jpg

9OOYO
Mar 15, 2011, 08:19 AM
WaterField Designs Portable Muzetto. Second to none.. if you can afford it ;)

http://notebooks.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/muzetto_large_main_lg.jpg

I really wanted the Muzetto and had my heart set on it...but it's a month wait time. Because I am travelling next week, unfortunately, I didn't go for it.

Maybe I'll get one for myself as a gift later this year...it looks amazing!

Domdog31
Mar 15, 2011, 12:06 PM
I also am extremely disappointed that I can't purchase a muzzetto now. I feel alot of people would purchase them if they were able to produce them quicker rather than an estimated one month delay.

I have a think tank retrospective 10 that I carry my DSLR gear in now and the iPad fits perfectly in an internal pocket but I would prefer a dedicated iPad bag. Oh well.

tekchic
Mar 15, 2011, 12:24 PM
Tom Bihn Ristretto bag is perfect. It's also got enough room to put your Apple bluetooth wireless keyboard in as well. The Muzetto's gorgeous, but I can't justify the price. Even the Ristretto is pricey to me, but Bihn seems to make great quality pilot (and now tech) bags.

9OOYO
Mar 15, 2011, 12:28 PM
Tom Bihn Ristretto bag is perfect. It's also got enough room to put your Apple bluetooth wireless keyboard in as well. The Muzetto's gorgeous, but I can't justify the price. Even the Ristretto is pricey to me, but Bihn seems to make great quality pilot (and now tech) bags.

I ended up going for the Ristretto. Tom seems like he is running a solid business. All colors etc...have been available and he seems to have been prepared for the launch of iPad 2. My item shipped within 1 business day.

budmac
Mar 15, 2011, 01:07 PM
Is the muzetto personal large enough for the new Ipad 2? Anyone know?

Higgs1
Mar 15, 2011, 06:02 PM
Is the muzetto personal large enough for the new Ipad 2? Anyone know?

I am wondering this too, I think I'd more prefer a smaller case and would most likely be using my ipad naked (maybe getting a portenzo once I see pictures/reviews) so I'm hoping I can get away with the personal rather than the 10"

May also pick up a dock & BT keyboard, so IDK if they'll all fit, may end up having to go 10" lol

random person
Mar 15, 2011, 07:08 PM
I've had both the personal and portable sizes of muzetto -- water field designs (sfbags) let me swap them as the portable is the better size for the iPad with a sleeve or other case. That said, the naked iPad 1 was fine in the personal and I am certain the iPad 2 with smart cover would fit nicely.

I do think the portable is a more versatile choice as you can stick some other things in there too and you know how that is -- you always want to add something or other to a bag.

I have to say the muzetto is one of the finest things I have ever purchased and the company is simply top notch. Made in America and the employees, including Gary himself, are just the epitome of great customer service. Yes they get slammed with orders and get behind but they are worth the wait. Put in your order now and make do with another bag until it arrives. It is worth it!

BTW I have one in brown with grey and one in black with flame. I love them more than I can possibly say!

Another sf bag go consider is the Vertigo. It is a great size and you can put other stuff in there. There generally isn't the wait for that bag, it is a lot cheaper, and there are many color choices. Because of rain and snow and such I actually use the vertigo more often than my muzettos as it can handle rain without a problem.

Water field designs rocks! By the way water field is one word but the damn iPad will NOT let me type it that way!! Will NOT :rolleyes:

Higgs1
Mar 15, 2011, 07:11 PM
thanks for the reply!

do you think I could fit say my ipad2 + keyboard + dock + cables in the personal and be ok? or would you say better off with the portable

i'm leaning towards the portable as I'm sure I'll end up getting a case for my ipad and would like it to be able to fit in the muzetto too

hitekalex
Mar 15, 2011, 11:09 PM
thanks for the reply!

do you think I could fit say my ipad2 + keyboard + dock + cables in the personal and be ok? or would you say better off with the portable

i'm leaning towards the portable as I'm sure I'll end up getting a case for my ipad and would like it to be able to fit in the muzetto too

Get portable. As the poster above said - nice to have a little extra slack for a few items besides the iPad.

DrBokchoy
Mar 18, 2011, 11:16 AM
I recommend the scout from STM.

http://www.stmbags.com/catalog/ipad-bags/scout-for-ipad-shoulder-bag/

I ordered this bag when you posted this and I freaking love it. Great size, enough room for cables and the comparment for the iPad is padded nicely. Thanks for the recommendation, oh and I got it in black.

Entopia7
Mar 18, 2011, 09:07 PM
This may have been mentioned, but Timbuk2 makes amazing ballistic nylon messenger bags. This bag is made for the iPad, and it looks fantastic.

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/laptop/netbook-laptop-cases/freestyle-netbook-messenger

I have their medium laptop messenger, and it is the best bag I have ever owned. Solid craftsmanship, very durable. It's over a year old, I carry it almost daily, and it looks like new.

I have ordered the freestyle messenger and eagerly await it's arrival.

Leeturn
Mar 18, 2011, 09:38 PM
This may have been mentioned, but Timbuk2 makes amazing ballistic nylon messenger bags. This bag is made for the iPad, and it looks fantastic.

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/laptop/netbook-laptop-cases/freestyle-netbook-messenger

I have their medium laptop messenger, and it is the best bag I have ever owned. Solid craftsmanship, very durable. It's over a year old, I carry it almost daily, and it looks like new.

I have ordered the freestyle messenger and eagerly await it's arrival.

I just gave props to this company in case thread for their sleeves, and this is the second day straight I've given them a shout. Definitely give this post a dido.

eagleglen
Mar 18, 2011, 11:14 PM
I got this case from Booq for my first iPad and really like it's design and look. Inside it has a zippered sleeve for your iPad, but it was a tight fit with the original iPad inside an Apple case. Now, with the iPad 2 and a Smart Cover, it's a perfect fix. You can't carry a lot of extra stuff, but it's intended to be compact. http://www.booqbags.com/laptop-backpacks-laptop-bags/Taipan-shadow-iPad-messenger-bags/Taipan-shadow-XS-black-red-iPad-bag

http://db.tt/5wXV1Kl

rudy44
Mar 18, 2011, 11:50 PM
if anyone's interested i do have a lightly used month old 10" muzetto in black and green that im thinking of selling.

edit: oh and a new chrome flux messenger too.

zemzabob
Mar 19, 2011, 12:30 AM
The Killspencer bag looks awesome.

jedolley
Mar 19, 2011, 12:35 AM
After trying several bags, I've decided with the Skooba Designs iPad Messenger. It's a very versatile bag in that it's small, but can carry a lot.

I'm not going to do a real review, but just show some pics and how the iPad and some other devices fit in nicely.

The main compartment is large enough for a 13" laptop. I demonstrate this using a Dell XPS M1330. On the back left of the compartment is a built-in sleeve for your iPad or Netbook. It's large enough to fit the iPad plus a regular sized case. To the right is a mesh pocket which I am using to store the laptop charger cable in this situation. There is also a top access to this section (not pictured) so you can grab anything out of this compartment w/o opening the flap of the bag.

The front compartment of the bag is more of the organizational section as it has mesh pockets and several other pockets. In this section I can easily fit my Kindle 3 in a book jacket type case.

So in this small bag I can easily carry a 13" laptop w/charger, iPad 2 w/case, Kindle 3 w/case and many more smaller items and documents.

I didn't mention or take shots of the 2 document pockets, the pocket on the front flap, and the small pocket on the side that releases a mesh bottle holder.

I hope to do a more proper review later, but I thought I should post this here so people were aware.

mac jones
Mar 19, 2011, 07:35 AM
It's funny, all of these bag companies are in SF.

Gay-ness? :D ....me thinks perhaps.

Whatever, i'm not gay (I don't think :confused: )

I'm own LOTS of Timbuk2 and Waterfield stuff.

I have both the portable and personal Muzettos (got them off Ebay cheap; you have to wait a LONG time for that ;) however)

The iPad2 will fit very nicely in the personal with 'certain' cases. It didn't fit the iPad 1 with the Apple case as that case added some dimensions because of the way it was made. But now the Ipad 2 is smaller, so if your case fits snug it will fit very nicely in the personal. These bags are not cases though, there's not a lot of padding but the leather is thick (but soft) and you could use it with a naked iPad.

It's a tough choice. But if your not sure just order the Portable, you won't regret that.

Mind you, the issue of masculinity keeps coming up with these. It's a valid concern as men are very sensitive. For instance, I will put the bag on on stand in front of the mirror and turn sideways back and forth, an then say to myself WHOA there boy!!! you ARE NOT a girly man on the catwalk......dude :D. Some men will be too self conscious to use these. Simple as that. Are they right? Will people whisper "Oh that's Bill, he's gay" ? :D . Probably

Ok so i've said more than you wanted. I wanted to get it off my chest. I'm a closet luggage lover.....ok I said it.

imutter
Mar 19, 2011, 07:46 AM
coach has a little small bag just the ipad size I almost got but desided coach is really not me ...I am a women and have always a bunch of items in my purse. I have blue accessories and so I got a fossil bag in that color (for now) and I set a sleeve in there. I really do not wanna carry 2 bags around with me. I am really in search of a backbag type. I also prefer leather. I guess in the end it is what you like and finding what exactly what you want .....there is a zoo of items available.

lespaulist
Mar 19, 2011, 07:49 AM
Anyone ever try this Brenthaven case (http://www.ebags.com/product/brenthaven/switch-satchel-ipad-netbook-case/147350?productid=10010164)?

mctheriot
Mar 19, 2011, 10:17 AM
They make very nice high quality products. I have one of their laptop bags and it protects well and is nicely made.

Mark

Anyone ever try this Brenthaven case (http://www.ebags.com/product/brenthaven/switch-satchel-ipad-netbook-case/147350?productid=10010164)?

mctheriot
Mar 19, 2011, 12:07 PM
Double post.

shahster
Apr 7, 2011, 05:00 PM
I was trying to decide b/w the STM scout and the Brenthaven Satchel Zero Impact HWY99/Amersterdam.

Both have roughly the same size and dimensions.

They are both under $50 with NO murse factor. A key important issue.

I ended up getting the Brenthave, but I could have gone either way.

Also looked at coolriverbags.com for an upscale leather bag, for only $70 called the ipad messenger.

TimTheEnchanter
Apr 7, 2011, 06:05 PM
Came across this one last night:
Tunefolio Urban (http://tunewear.com/tunefolio-urban-ipad-2/)

The case is the "bag" or rather the case has a shoulder strap. Looks a little "girlie" or purse-like especially with the narrow strap, but not bad otherwise. It does have a side storage pocket, but doesn't look that roomy. For more protection and storage room I would go with one of the others mentioned.

aricher
Apr 12, 2011, 05:11 PM
The Killspencer bag looks awesome.

Agreed, I'm going to order a custom leather bag from Killspencer and have been posting about my communication with them in this thread:

Something similar but CHEAPER! (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=12380227&posted=1#post12380227)