PDA

View Full Version : How do you have Lion installed?

zeemeerman2
Mar 11, 2011, 11:11 AM
Just curious.
- Internal HDD/SSD. By overwriting my previous OS (can be clean install or upgrade). (e.g. Snow Leopard)
- Internal HDD/SSD. By making a new partition and installing it there.
- External HDD/SSD. Erased HDD and just installed it.
- External HDD/SSD. Repartitioned to not lose any data and installed on a new partition.
- USB-stick/SD-card.

Hellhammer
Mar 11, 2011, 11:20 AM
Partitioned my internal HD. No way I would have beta as my only OS and externals are slow, especially since I only have USB ones. To be honest, I haven't booted into SL after installing Lion.

wrldwzrd89
Mar 11, 2011, 12:37 PM
I have FOUR externals connected to my Mac right now. 1 for SL Time Machine, 1 for Lion, 1 for Lion Time Machine, and 1 for shared storage.

Tharian
Mar 11, 2011, 01:15 PM
Nice thread! I have a partition on my internal and am using it every moment of the day.

Lion rocks.

-d

Applepi
Mar 11, 2011, 10:08 PM
Internal on the SSD. If it gets unbearable I can always go back to Snow Leopard, but so far though it's been great.

celticpride678
Mar 11, 2011, 10:28 PM
Partitioned 25 GB's of space to Lion and haven't touched Snow Leopard since.

bedifferent
Mar 12, 2011, 10:32 AM
Hmmm, seems I may have read it wrong, I mistook "partition" as meaning another partition on your main HDD/SSD and glanced over the "external" and "internal" points. Yeah, been a long day, and being blond ain't helping lol

antmarobel
Mar 12, 2011, 12:03 PM
Completed erased the HDD and than installed it in a totally clean home :D

HawaiiMacAddict
Mar 12, 2011, 10:02 PM
I took a 1TB external (the small form factor model from WD), created two partitions on it, then installed Lion on one of the two partitions. It runs remarkably well, albeit just a tad slow in some aspects, but I have no major issues and it even goes to sleep! I was unable to install iStat Menus 2 (the last free version), some of the previously-installed apps from the Mac App Store (installed on my internal HDD), or use iProxy, but I really, really like Lion and can't wait for it to be released.

I ran Geekbench and, while I didn't expect a great score, only scored 3661 on a late-2008 MacBook Pro (2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 6 GB RAM). I'll just put that down to Lion being installed on an external USB2 device.

One thing I really liked was that when you download an app from the Mac App Store, instead of the app being installed in your dock, Launchpad is invoked and the app gets "installed" there.

MacGeekJunior
Mar 13, 2011, 03:20 AM
How do install lion on a external?

Hellhammer
Mar 13, 2011, 03:50 AM
How do install lion on a external?

Create a HFS+ partition to it and then simply select it as the target of the install.

HawaiiMacAddict
Mar 13, 2011, 12:43 PM
yes, that's exactly what I did. I took an external 1TB WD small form factor drive (it houses a 2.5" HDD), created 200GB and 800GB partitions, then installed Lion on the smaller one. I still haven't begun to use the larger partition, however :D

BTW, has anyone gotten iStat Menus 2.0 running on Lion? I can't seem to get it working correctly. It downloads the sensors, but when I click on any of them in the preference pane, I'm told that they can't be loaded.

Mik3F
Mar 21, 2011, 06:20 PM
As a VM under VMware Fusion

Cynicalone
Mar 21, 2011, 08:21 PM
Just installed it on a spare 08 Macbook that wasn't being used daily.