PDA

View Full Version : iBook harddrive upgrade?

Radner
Feb 19, 2005, 04:00 PM
I recently bought an 12 inch 1 ghz G4 iBook through my school bookstore (paid $599 for it) and I absolutely love it. However I was wondering if I do a hard drive upgrade to it, can I use any type of laptop hard drive or are there specific ones that work with macs. I'm used to doing pc upgrades but when it comes to macs, I'm clueless.

Also since I'm here on my hard drive I have two things that I'm not sure I even need. I'm using OSX that came with my system but I have two folders, one called "applications (OS 9)" and another that says system folder with the number 9 on the folder icon. Do I even need these or are they just a waist of space on my iBook? If I dont need them do I just drag both folders to my garbage can? Thanks!

ftaok
Feb 19, 2005, 04:10 PM
You can certainly upgrade the hard drive of the iBook yourself. If you're fairly handy, it shouldn't take more than a couple of hours. Do a search on "iBook hard drive upgrade" and you'll see tons of posts regarding this topic. Also, try and find some tutorials for hard drive upgrades for reference material.

As for the kind of HDs to use, just about any laptop drive will work. It must be a 2.5" hard drive that is 9.5mm or less in height. If you're gonna replace the original drive, do yourself a favor and get a 5400 or 7200 RPM drive as you'll see improved performance.

The question with OS 9 sitting on your drive is a little trickier. Do you use older programs that run in Classic? If so, don't trash OS 9. If not, then I guess you could get rid of it, but unless you're hurting for space, why bother?

boogieman
Feb 19, 2005, 05:20 PM
Just saw this and was wondering will this void your warrenty?

Mitthrawnuruodo
Feb 19, 2005, 05:55 PM
Just saw this and was wondering will this void your warrenty?
Most definatly, I wouldn't do it with an iBook under warranty.

If you do however, want to replace it you can search for the service manual which should be out there somewhere under the name "iBook G4 12 Service.pdf". The 4.1 MB document tells you, step by step, how to replace much about anything on your 12" iBook... ;)

Radner
Feb 19, 2005, 06:46 PM
thanks guys

solvs
Feb 19, 2005, 08:05 PM
You can use any drive, and just use the install CDs to re-install the OS. Just don't install OS 9 if you don't use it. If you want, you could get a cheapy external USB and firewire case, the 2.5" drive you want to be your new internal disk, use Carbon Copy Cloner to move everything to the new disk (just delete what you don't want), then have an Apple Authorized technician install the new drive. It'll only be about $40, and it won't void your warranty. Then get AppleCare if you haven't already. It's cheaper with the educational discount, and you may need it if you plan on having the iBook for more than a year. You may not, but better to be safe than sorry.

spaceballl
Feb 20, 2005, 04:47 AM
I replaced my harddrive of my old iBook G3 700 with a 7200 rpm drive. It really gave it a bit of a speed boost. Do a forum search for it you'll find a lot of info.

I currently have an 80gg 4200 rpm drive in my iBook (stock) rigth now. I'm going to wait for a new drive, and you might want to also. I THINK the laptop drive is made by seagate... not sure. But the drive goes by the model number "7200.1" and it is 7200, 100gb laptop drive.

-Kevin