Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
I’ve been playing Dragon Age 2 and all I’ve got to say is: It’s bad.

- no characters, shallowness all over
- no plot
- absolutely hideous 3D-models
- lack of essence and quality in the game

This may very well me THE disappointment of 2011 in terms of gaming. Feels truly like playing some random Final Fantasy clone that did not respect the depth that the first part had.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Maybe you're just more of the dice-rolling d&d type of rpger. I have a feeling this one will be more accessible to casual gamers.

I did like the first one very much and can see why a lot of people who enjoyed the aspects of the first won't like the second one.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Not a big surprise, it was a rush job. And the previews made it pretty obvious they were aiming for the console button-mashing crowd this time. Oh well, at least we have The Witcher 2 in May.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
Yep, happy about The Witcher 2.

I'll finish up DA:2, but as it, without some patches from Bioaware, its combat system is complete **** compared to Origins. I'm all for ACTION as much as the next guy, but not when they stripped out key control features in favor of NINJA-ACTION!

pionata

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2005
Montreal
It doesn't seem all that bad.

Through I'm not sure if I should get the 39$ ultimate edition of the first game (that I completed on ps3 without the expansions) or this new one, that may be a bit simpler and less "epic", but has better graphics, a tighter combat system (more responsive for sure) and better animated cut-scenes.

I guess I'll go for the new one for the sake of curiosity.
Gametreemac seems to be stuck on me, taking 10 minutes to checkout.

milbournosphere

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
San Diego, CA
I agree with you on the 3d modeling. It looked worse than the first, IMO. The cutscenes were absolutely horrible. Coming from ME2, this was a serious disappointment. It was also far to linear for me. I appreciate my sidequests, darn it :mad:. Plot was shallow, and I support the sentiment that the original combat system was better. Now it's in a wierd spot...its not a good rpg click combat system, but it's not a FPS system either. As an earlier commenter said, this was a rush job, and it showed. Oh well, here's to ME3! :)

deadwulfe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
After reading some more reviews I decided to get DA:O Ultimate version instead.

Huge 14.4 gigs download...

Appreciate the 14GB download. I wondered why DA2 was only about 5.5GB, but then I learned most of it is spent in 1 city and all of the "different" dungeons/buildings/areas are all just rehashed with different hallways blocked off and you start off at different ends. It definitely takes away from the experience. Especially when the overhead maps don't even change when those hallways are blocked off.

DA2 has been fun for me so far, but looking at it from relative standpoint compared to DA:O, it's a huge disappointment. So I say don't fret the massive download and then while you're playing, appreciate all the work that went into making the world of DA:O.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
What's sad, is that some people were trying to say the game is just as long as the first, but because of better compression, Bioware was able to get the file size down.

I knew that was utter BS then and now that the game has been released, it's been proven as such.

Anyways, I agree, from the standpoint of DA:O, DA 2 is very disappointing.

Sauron's Master

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2002
Saratoga, CA / New York, NY
What's sad, is that some people were trying to say the game is just as long as the first, but because of better compression, Bioware was able to get the file size down.

I knew that was utter BS then and now that the game has been released, it's been proven as such.

Anyways, I agree, from the standpoint of DA:O, DA 2 is very disappointing.

No one has credibly said that it was as long as DA:O. Bioware flat out said it's shorter than DA:O and longer than ME2. In actuality, it's slightly longer than ME2 and ~75% of a DA:O playthrough without the DLC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.