Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JDNGuru

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
if i made a complete back-up using time machine, and lost my dvd install disc (to get to restore area), will using another 10.6 dvd install disc work?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
if i made a complete back-up using time machine, and lost my dvd install disc (to get to restore area), will using another 10.6 dvd install disc work?
You can use a retail disc, but not a grey install disk from another computer. Grey install disks are model-specific and won't work on other models.

Miss Terri

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2010
US East Coast
You can use a retail disc, but not a grey install disk from another computer. Grey install disks are model-specific and won't work on other models.

On the grey discs, this is something I've been wondering about, as I have the install discs from my previous computer(s) and was wondering whether to keep them as possible spares.

GGJstudios, when you say "model specific," how specific is it?

--"Model" as in that exact computer with that exact serial number?

--Same "type" model (Macbook Pro) PLUS same or newer OS?

--Same type and same CPU?

--Or, just the same model as in "Macbook Pro"?

--Something else?

Thanks for clarifying (as I'm sure you know :))

MT

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
GGJstudios, when you say "model specific," how specific is it?
--"Model" as in that exact computer with that exact serial number?
--Same "type" model (Macbook Pro) PLUS same or newer OS?
--Same type and same CPU?
--Or, just the same model as in "Macbook Pro"?
--Something else?
Thanks for clarifying (as I'm sure you know :))
No, not the same serial number, but the same exact model of MBP, such as MB985LL/A (2.66 GHz) or MB986LL/A (2.8 GHz).

JDNGuru

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
I restored it fine with the original disc. I had to get it overnighted to me for $20. It was well worth it. I tried my friends grey disc, no worky. Tried my own disc, worked instantly. Thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.