Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

enriquecaballo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2004
I have a 250 gig Lacie Hardrive that I connect to my ibook via the usb 2.0 input.

I recently bought an Airport Express so that I can start using my ibook wirelessly. However, it's still a drag that i have to keep my harddrive physically connected to my ibook when I want to access the drive (I keep a lot of my music on the drive)

Instead of connecting a printer to the USB input on my Airport Express, is it possible to use that USB input to connect my hard drive? Then my computer would really be wireless.

If that's not possible, does anybody else have any ideas as to how I can access my hard drive wirelessly?

Thanks.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
I don't think so, but it could be possible.

I think all it can do is SEND data, not recieve it, which is why Printer/Scanner-In-One sets do not work well - it will print but will not scan...

There are only three ports: Ethernet, Headphone (which is for AirTunes), USB (for printers)

Hope this helps!

---

Alternatively, you can hook the drive up to some really crappy, cheap windows PC, disable the internet so there is hardly any risk of viruses, enable networking, and network that wirelessly. Then, you can access the files from the Windows machine...

Or you can a Mac mini if you want...

Thats what I do with my music, except its really my dads music and stored on his PC...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.