Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jehct

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
I have just received my new laptop and i absolutley love it. I have installed windows on bootcamp for the purposes of playing games. However i just realised that it is the 32bit version of Windows 7 ultimate. And when i look at the system information, it informs me that only 2.5gb out of 4gb of ram is available. Is this going to affect my gaming performance? Should i attempt to aquire a 64bit version?

Thanks in advance.

desantii

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2006
Aurora, IL
You also can use 64 bit versions of applications such as Photoshop with Win 7 64 bits

I have just received my new laptop and i absolutley love it. I have installed windows on bootcamp for the purposes of playing games. However i just realised that it is the 32bit version of Windows 7 ultimate. And when i look at the system information, it informs me that only 2.5gb out of 4gb of ram is available. Is this going to affect my gaming performance? Should i attempt to aquire a 64bit version?

Thanks in advance.

kidaquarius

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2011
Detroit
Depending on the games you're playing it may not matter so much.

The game you're playing could be compiled using 32-bit code and thus would not take advantage of the additional address space that 64-bit code allows for.

Sure Windows would take advantage of the wider 64-bit registers, but if you're only playing a 32-bit application, that wouldn't matter.

If you have Windows already installed and the game is playing without any hiccups, you may as well leave it alone.
Moreover, you said you would have to "acquire" a 64-bit version Windows; one can only assume it must be *cough* pirated (Genuine Windows comes with both 32 & 64 bit install discs).
Even more of a reason to skip it and enjoy what's running.

It's up to you of course, but if there will be no real benefit, why put the effort in?

Research it a little more.

[sent from my android]

Jehct

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
Gonna be playing shogun 2, Swtor and Diablo 3. The machine is a 2.2ghz i7, with the high Rez glossy and the 500gb 7200rpm hdd. I think I will "buy" the 64 bit version because I don't wanna half ass this bad boy in any way. It's go hard or go home for me.

Thanks for the advice guys

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.