Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

112948-iphone_4_discoloration_3.jpg

iPhone 4 discoloration​

A few readers have noticed a yellow tinting on their brand new iPad 2 screens. The color changes are reminiscent of a similar issue that appeared on early iPhone 4 shipments. At the time the issue was described as follows:Apple is using a bonding agent called Organofunctional Silane Z-6011 to bond the layers of glass. Apparently, Apple (or more likely Foxconn) is shipping these products so quickly that the evaporation process is not complete. However, after one or two days of use, especially with the screen on, will complete the evaporation process and the yellow "blotches" will disappear.The issue seemed to resolve itself over a couple of days for the iPhone 4 based on reader experiences. With any brand new launch, Apple seems to be shipping the units as quickly as they are manufacturing them, preventing the required time for the bonding agent to set. We'll know for sure in a few days.

Article Link: iPad 2 Yellow Screen Tinting Likely to Go Away Like iPhone 4?

TigerWoodsIV

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
I'm gonna be so pissed if mine has this. I had it on my iPhone 4 and it didn't go away after a month so I got a replacement.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
It'll go away if it is indeed the glue issue.

This is not always the case, in fact its the minority in Apple yellow screen cases.

If your entire screen has a yellow tint to it, it's not a warm-toned screen, it isn't glue, it is a defect and you need a new iProduct.

If theres a few small blotches, yeah probably glue. But most users who have yellow screens have defective screens, yet everyone wants to jump to say it's glue.

Quazimojo

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2010
Auburn Hills,Mi
Yeah i have some bleeding at the bottom/side (depending on orientation) on mine .

Pushing on the screen can make it worse which made me think the screen is pinched where the bleed is coming through so i have my screen to never sleep and ill leave it plugged in overnight to see if it disappears.

After a couple days if it's still there i will just exchange it but for now i will show some patience and see what comes of it .

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
Waited for my iPad 2 for 4 hrs and its awesome. The cameras are not as great as I expected but good (they looked better in the apple store). But over all very pleased.

DiScO197

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2008
Hahahahah! Will I see this on mine on the UK launch? I'm going to wait out, as I've only just now got a first gen without something under the glass! Suckers!! :D

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
It can't be glue because the iPad 2's screen is not fused to the glass (hence no glue needed)

One of the things I like about my iPhone 4 display, besides the Retina resolution, is how close the display seems to the glass. It really feels like you're touching the icons/buttons/photos.

It's one of those hard-to-describe things that took me awhile to recognize (after using my iPhone 3G for a bit), but is a hallmark of quality Apple design :D :apple: Like fine stitching or the lining of a coat.

GMcGarity

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2010
I have a 64 gb Black Wifi model and mine has some yellow discoloration along the bottom right side of the screen. I am sure it will fade in time but if not I will go to apple soon!

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Wouldn't be an apple launch without pee screen complaints.

You say this as if it's the fault of whiney users or something. You should redirect your tone against Apple, who are the ones putting out the yellow screens.

oghowie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

I had yellow spots on my ip4. Kept it for 2 weeks and it never went away. It would actually get worse when the phone got warm from extended use.

kmcrawford

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2008
I noticed it as soon as I turned my iPad 2 on. It is most noticeable when using an iPhone only app on the iPad. You can see the yellow glow just to the right of the home button. ( at least on mine). 16 gb white (aka Storm trooper)

utsava

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2004
It can't be glue because the iPad 2's screen is not fused to the glass (hence no glue needed)

My thoughts exactly... the ifixit teardown clearly shows that the touchscreen and LCD are not bonded together like they are on the iPhone 4. Hence, the cause of the yellowing cannot be the same as it was on the iPhone 4.

SilianRail

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2011
Apple is already starting to fall apart without Steve running the show. They have a completely dominant market share and still rushed the iPad 2's launch.

FlameofAnor

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Lets hope this is an isolated problem.... if not, it will be a big headache for users, and for Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.