Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MILESAR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2005
CO
I am on my way to purchasing a PB (my first personal mac after working with them for a long time now, this is 7 years in the making) and the choice comes to me to either purchase online, or goto an apple store.

Heres the catch...

1) I live in a small Colorado town, thus no Apple store (there is a dealer, but are unable to award education discounts) So no store to buy from here.

2) Im out of town for a week in March (River trip, yay) and there is a good possibilty of the PB to arrive during that time if ordered online.

3) I am visiting my parents in Houston the weekend after that, so I have the option of buying a PB from the Houston Apple store.

Anyone know of and major advantages/disadvantages of each? I dont think I will be getting any BTO's for it (by the way what does BTO mean?). But what if I wanted too, is that an option from the shop?

There is the Possibility of the PB arriving before I head down to Houston, but buying from the store there is no wait between spending money and play time.

Any thoughts would be great, Thanks.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
in store

Speaking from personal experience, I would have to say I would recommend buying in a store if you are getting anything with an LCD screen. I had a terrible expereince with trying to get a working powerbook. The first 3 of them that I received had a bad screen. Two of them had dead pixels and the other had the screen going dark on the left side. I had to fight REALLLLY hard with apple every time to get them to send me a replacement. If you are in the store you can check out the powerbook before you buy it. However, many people on these forms have great luck purchasing online so I may be a minority here. Just my opinion :)

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
I dunno. Personally with me when I ordered my G5 I ended up cancelling order simply because I couldn't handle waiting 1-2 weeks for it. So I bought my G5 powermac in store and added ram I ordered from crucial. Like enless your going for blue tooth there's really nothing done though BTO that you can't do yourself. I plan on ordering a 250gb drive later compared to the 160 I had ordered.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.