PDA

View Full Version : MY POWERBOOKS TELLING ME LIES

BONE
Feb 20, 2005, 02:51 AM
I have a g4 17inch 1ghz laptop that seems to be telling me lies if i do a comman i to get info on the hard drive it tells me that i only have 9.02 gb available of the 55.88 gb capacity though if i open the hard drive folder the contents including 9.02 free space only account for about 30 gig so ive lost about 25 gig that i cant find ive binned 3000 photo's anything that wasnt important, run nortons disk doctor optimized the disk and still no joy

has anyone got any suggestions :confused:

mad jew
Feb 20, 2005, 02:54 AM
Maybe do a search in the finder for files bigger than a gig or so. Some people have reported a massive increase in certain log files since the recent OS update.

Hope this helps. :)

BONE
Feb 20, 2005, 03:02 AM
I have a g4 17inch 1ghz laptop that seems to be telling me lies if i do a comman i to get info on the hard drive it tells me that i only have 9.02 gb available of the 55.88 gb capacity though if i open the hard drive folder the contents including 9.02 free space only account for about 30 gig so ive lost about 25 gig that i cant find ive binned 3000 photo's anything that wasnt important, run nortons disk doctor optimized the disk and still no joy

The biggest file on there is only 169.9mb :(

erik1975
Feb 20, 2005, 03:19 AM

Did you empty the trash in iPhoto. I think it keeps the images until you officially trash them permanantly!

Lacero
Feb 20, 2005, 03:23 AM
Some third-party apps leave invisible temp files littered throughout the hard drive. Peak is an example of this. They gobble up hard drive space and sometimes you come to a loss as to why your HD space is disappearing.

mad jew
Feb 20, 2005, 03:27 AM
Some third-party apps leave invisible temp files littered throughout the hard drive. Peak is an example of this. They gobble up hard drive space and sometimes you come to a loss as to why your HD space is disappearing.

Yeah, but 25 gig! That's some seriously large collection of third-party apps.

It's a long shot but a friend of mine had a similar problem on his Toshiba once and he traced it back to spyware changing his internet cache to 65 gigs. It obviously took him a while to get that amount of downloaded files, but still...

BONE
Feb 20, 2005, 03:32 AM
The biggest file on there is only 169.9mb :(

no it was,nt copied this from another forum incase anyone else has same problem

The problem is how iShock software interacts with 10.3.8. iShock is looking for the controller, and if it is not plugged in it continually generates an error message that eventually builds up to huge GB. There are two solves: either keep your game controller plugged in at all times, or delete iSchock. Then in your GO menu, select Go To Folder and type in /var/log. you will see the offending file system.log. delete it, resart, make sure to empty trash again.

mad jew
Feb 20, 2005, 03:45 AM
no it was,nt copied this from another forum incase anyone else has same problem

The problem is how iShock software interacts with 10.3.8. iShock is looking for the controller, and if it is not plugged in it continually generates an error message that eventually builds up to huge GB. There are two solves: either keep your game controller plugged in at all times, or delete iSchock. Then in your GO menu, select Go To Folder and type in /var/log. you will see the offending file system.log. delete it, resart, make sure to empty trash again.

Glad to hear you've worked out what it is. :) It really shouldn't be that much work to maintain it though! :mad: This update has a lot to answer for. Thankfully I haven't had any problems yet.
:::touches as much wood as possible:::