Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 1, 2005
When I browse into the internet, there is no way I cn turn my head anywhere and not hear about the opcoming release of Mac OS X Tiger. I have heard so many things for it...

First of all I have heard about the new OpenGL implementations in Tiger. It will support many more effects, and they will be rendered mainly using the CPU. I have heard of CoreImage and CoreVideo. I have seen many game developers say that Tiger will change everything in terms of gaming, and programming in general. Here are two links:

http://www.insidemacgames.com/features/view.php?ID=333
http://www.macologist.org/portal.php?topic_id=607

The fact is that I want to hear from users inside this forum what do they think about this matter. I mean, these implementations seem good, but maybe we will all have problems due to Apple's policy of ignoring sometimes backward compatibility.

Do you think apps of today will run better in tiger?

When answering this, please do not get into consideration about apple's hardware new features (spotlight etc.) I would like answers specificaly for technological implementations such as CoreImage and OpenGL and other frameworks

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
Soulstorm said:
When I browse into the internet, there is no way I cn turn my head anywhere and not hear about the opcoming release of Mac OS X Tiger. I have heard so many things for it...

First of all I have heard about the new OpenGL implementations in Tiger. It will support many more effects, and they will be rendered mainly using the CPU. I have heard of CoreImage and CoreVideo. I have seen many game developers say that Tiger will change everything in terms of gaming, and programming in general. Here are two links:

http://www.insidemacgames.com/features/view.php?ID=333
http://www.macologist.org/portal.php?topic_id=607

The fact is that I want to hear from users inside this forum what do they think about this matter. I mean, these implementations seem good, but maybe we will all have problems due to Apple's policy of ignoring sometimes backward compatibility.

When answering this, please do not get into consideration about apple's hardware new features (spotlight etc.) I would like answers specificaly for technological implementations such as CoreImage and OpenGL and other frameworks

I'm an ADC member, and whilst I'm not about to break my NDA by giving specific details, I will say that Tiger development builds run very happily on any computer supported by Panther (i.e. B/W G3 or later) provided you have enough RAM. I used a B/W G3-400 /w 512mb for some time as my Tiger test platform.

Whilst obviously the latest hardware will give better performance, if you're happy with Panther on your current hardware, you should be more than happy with Tiger.

Darwin

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2003
round the corner
Well Panther and Tiger are Mac OS X

So there arn't completely different OSes which means Apps should get better without much or any change to themselves

As for the working on hardware Apple knows that not everyone has a G5 and is aware that those older Macs are still capable of carry out normal tasks like e-mail web surfing etc

I also have a 450MHz G4 Cube at home and because Apple still opitmises the main code for the OS that computer stills runs with good performance

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Soulstorm said:
Okay, there are two ways this question could be interpretted.

The first is will the exact same software I'm running now work better on Tiger? And the answer is most stuff seems to. I noticed a lot of applications that sped up from the move from Jagua to Panther without installing a new version of the applications. Also, in some of the 10.3.x updates various appliocations sped up as the OS X Kernel was cleaned up.

And as for the other interpretation, if software is rewritten to take advantage of new features, they could spee dup as well.

Either way I expect to see a performance benefit from going to Tiger. And since the next machine I buy may not run anything earlier than Tiger, I'll probably won't have a choice about running it anyway. Not that I'm worried. I've been able to switch to Jaguar and Panther within a week or so of each coming out without issues.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Any application that uses Quartz will perform better in Tiger than it did in Panther. Quartz-only applications (lacking QuickDraw calls) will improve the most, since QuickDraw will be unchanged in Tiger (and has been deprecated). Depending on what that application does with Quartz, the improvement could be anywhere from subtle (1.25x performance boost) to dramatic (50x performance boost).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.