PDA

View Full Version : New Blizzard Game to be annouced

Durandal7
Sep 11, 2002, 07:17 PM
Blizzard is set to announce a new game on 9/20. Wonder what it could be....

http://insidemacgames.com/news/story.php?ArticleID=6235

Haberdasher
Sep 11, 2002, 09:43 PM
You know, Blizzard commented on making a Starcraft 2 a long time ago, when there was an interview with one of their developers, and when they asked him about it the developer basically said "Sigh, yes, we're making the game, sigh, everyone asks, please care more about Warcraft III."

Oh well. It is all I care about. Once Starcraft II comes out, I will be reduced to the fetal position, vomiting and seizuring on the ground. Hopefully it'll be their next announcement...not some boring "OTHER" game...

And while I liked Warcraft III, make Starcraft much better than that! MUCH!

Mr. Anderson
Sep 11, 2002, 09:48 PM
I don't know, making a sequel seems more or less a given - this for some reason, seems to be something new. I'll be very curious, although not biting my nails till the 20th.

D

BongHits
Sep 11, 2002, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Durandal7
Blizzard is set to announce a new game on 9/20. Wonder what it could be....

http://insidemacgames.com/news/story.php?ArticleID=6235
guess what...go to their site...WORLD OF WARCRAFT! its looke pretty cool, diablo to the tenth on the internet. if it was Starcraft 2 ala W3 style, i'd nut myself

Durandal7
Sep 11, 2002, 11:50 PM
World of Warcraft was announced a long time ago. There have been rumors of a Blizzard FPS. It could be Starcraft 2 but I really dobut it. I don't think it will be a RPG because of WoW.

xelterran
Sep 12, 2002, 07:32 AM
its probably either an expantion to wc3, or a totally new game - possable a fps. I wouldnt mind playing a SC fps - maby something similar to counterstrike.
I doubt they would make a SC2 just yet because it would probably take sales away from wc3.

zed
Sep 12, 2002, 08:09 AM
I dont think an announcement of Starcraft 2 would hurt sales of Warcraft III considering that blizzard usually takes about 2 to 3 years to complete a game after it is first announced.

They are generally worth the wait though.

BongHits
Sep 12, 2002, 08:48 AM
war3 sales will never be hurting, because they'll drop the price on it as they sell less of them to pick up sales. did any else notice the hints that war3 would be on consoles eventually? its in the war3 faq. i dont think an entirely NEW line is in the works, either a new version of a game (SC imo) or a new twist on a previous line (like the FPS version of SC, which would suck balls imo) and it wont be diablo because they have WoW so wh oknows...

8thDegreeSavage
Sep 12, 2002, 05:04 PM
My vote is an expansion pack for WC3...thats most likely or WoW.

BongHits
Sep 12, 2002, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by 8thDegreeSavage
My vote is an expansion pack for WC3...thats most likely or WoW.

altho it does seem a little early for an expansion pack...remember that wc3 originally had 6 armies, 2 got cut, they added the Burning Legion, and then cut that too. So in essence they've developed 7 races and are only using 4. With that in mind an expansion pack seems inevitably right around the corner (and in time for the holiday season hah). Well I can't wait to play as the Burning Legion (they're huge in the one quest u fight them)

job
Sep 12, 2002, 05:50 PM
WoW has already been announced, so it cannot be that...

An FPS would be a major break with what Blizzard has done in the past; however, it is still possible.

It is far too early to consider an expansion for WC3 and/or SC2. Hell, why would they announce an expansion for WC3 as an entirely new game?

I don't really have a guess myself...

I'll just wait and be surprised.

Durandal7
Sep 12, 2002, 06:40 PM
I don't know why people keep saying that it's WoW, WoW is not a new product.

job
Sep 12, 2002, 06:48 PM
I don't know why people keep saying that it's WoW, WoW is not a new product.

Bingo.

They would not announce WoW two times. :rolleyes: :p

I'm not convinced it is an FPS. Blizzard has always been more RTS/RPG oriented.

I would be pleasently surprised if it was an FPS based off of another Blizzard game.

Although a SC based FPS would be too similar to AvP...

Durandal7
Sep 12, 2002, 07:18 PM
I don't think it will be an RTS, can't take any attention from WC3. RPG is doubtful with WoW underway. FPS seems very unlikely from Blizzard, though they may be licensing the WoW engine. I have no clue :confused:

job
Sep 12, 2002, 07:23 PM
It could be the start of a new franchise...

And after reading the article it is likely that it will be available for consoles as well.

Haberdasher
Sep 12, 2002, 07:25 PM
Why are you guys saying that it will not be a RTS?

Blizzard practically made the RTS type of game popular overnight with Warcraft. Blizzard of all companies can handle another RTS game, and if it is another RTS, it will not steal sales away from WCIII. As has already been mentioned, they take 2-3 years to release games.

It's not like people will hold back from buying Warcraft III because a new game will come out in 3 years, unlike the G5s, which I might add waiting for is kindof pointless. Mark my words, we will not see a G5 until after the first half of 2003, probably at the expo at the end of the year.

The nice thing about saying that is that I'll win regardless of what happens. :D

Durandal7
Sep 12, 2002, 07:28 PM
Not everyone keeps up on Blizzard. Most people will think "I can buy WCIII but I heard Blizzard was coming out with Starcraft 2" Another problem is that the RTS team is probably still busy with balancing Warcraft in patches and gearing up for an expansion.

job
Sep 12, 2002, 07:28 PM
It could be a RTS.

After all they are only announcing it...

I would like to see a new franchise though...

The current 3 Blizzard worlds are getting a bit old...

Durandal7
Sep 12, 2002, 07:34 PM
Here are what seems to be the likely possibilities:
1. Warcraft 3 for consoles
2. Warcraft 3 Expansion
3. Starcraft 2
4. An FPS
5. An original RTS
6. An original RPG
7. Continuation of Diablo franchise
8. The whole event is a misquote that was taken out of context

job
Sep 12, 2002, 07:36 PM

8. The whole event is a misquote that was taken out of context

Now that would be ****ing funny. :D

Haberdasher
Sep 12, 2002, 08:46 PM
Impossiblility. Well, okay, it could happen, and it would be pretty funny (This whole thing being just a quote taken out of context). But I'm pretty sure it was at just this kind of convention that WoW was announced, and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't build up the tension for no reason.

"We here at Blizzard, have decided, with the support of the entire team, that our next step here should be a 3 year long paid vacation. We'll send postcards from Maui. That is all."

Macmaniac
Sep 14, 2002, 02:23 PM
It has to be starcraft 2! Starcraft is getting mighty old and could use a new release. So on 9/20 they will announce that they will begin developing starcraft 2.
A long time ago blizzard had a huge survey about what people wanted. It went like this.
Which game do want us to develop first.
Diablo 2
Warcraft 3
or Starrcaft 2

Diablo won so it was made first, then War3 was second so now they will make Star2. I bet you a million dollars its Star2!

900 posts!!!!!! 100 till 1000:):D ;) :p :cool: :eek: :)

Durandal7
Sep 14, 2002, 02:29 PM
I hope it's either SC2 or an entirely new franchise.

job
Sep 14, 2002, 02:42 PM
I would like to see a new franchise.

Maybe a new game that follows the lead of WC3 and mixes the genres.

ericb88
Sep 14, 2002, 02:55 PM
Warcraft 3 expansion 3-1
Starcraft 3 5-2
Original RTS/rpg/combo 8-1
some thing else 25-1

Durandal7
Sep 14, 2002, 03:10 PM
Taking bets now are we? ;)

Though I think the odds of Stacraft 3 getting announced is 0 :p

xelterran
Sep 14, 2002, 03:11 PM
whatever it is i sure hope its not Diablo3 - i absolutly >HATE< Diablo, i dont really like wc3 all that much either but its ok - SC2 would be great if they make a good job of it!

Durandal7
Sep 14, 2002, 03:13 PM
It's too soon for a Diablo sequel. The Warcraft audience is saturated at the moment with WCIII and WoW. That leaves SC and a new game.

job
Sep 14, 2002, 03:16 PM
So we know for a fact that it is an entirely new game and not just an announcement that WC3 is coming to the consoles.?

xelterran
Sep 14, 2002, 03:19 PM
no way... SC64 was messed up... i doubt if wc3 will be any better on consoles.

Durandal7
Sep 14, 2002, 03:21 PM
Don't know for sure. It could just be a console announcement. Blizzard states that they are announcing a "new product" which can be taken many ways....

xelterran
Sep 14, 2002, 04:21 PM
...yeah an update to wc3 that removes upkeep, thats $30 plz! :eek: :eek:

Durandal7
Sep 14, 2002, 05:54 PM
I hope that Blizzard doesn't go down the Bungie road :(

I have come to resent PC game makers coming out with console games after that whole affair.

Haberdasher
Sep 15, 2002, 12:45 AM
I would say "No Chance" Durandal7, as that is really what the likeliness of what happened to Bungie happening to Blizzard is. Because my sayings have a way of coming back and haunting me, let me just say that a buyout of Blizzard by a higher company is "A snowball's chance in hell." Blizzard is easily able to sustain itself pumping out 1 game every year or 2, and they have had great success with every one of their games. They are not in poor fiscal condition like Bungie was, and are unlikely to ever require a buyout to sustain themselves.

The only reason Bungie went console was because Microsoft pushed them to do so, and I think that if Blizzard makes a voluntary step towards making console games, you might actually see some great RTSs or something Blizzard like on a console.

I hope you don't loose sleep over this one, because it won't happen. Oh, wait. It'll be the day pigs fly. :D

Durandal7
Sep 15, 2002, 01:25 PM
Actually Blizzard has been up for sale several times because their parent company is fed up with the fact they don't release more games. Sure when they do they make huge amounts of money but it still hurts them. I doubt that it will happen but I'm wary of consoles now...

MacBandit
Sep 15, 2002, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by ericb88
Warcraft 3 expansion 3-1
Starcraft 3 5-2
Original RTS/rpg/combo 8-1
some thing else 25-1

How come Starcraft 3 has better odds then Warcraft 3 expansion pack. Starcraft 2 hasn't even been released. ;)

Computer_Phreak
Sep 15, 2002, 02:58 PM
I really dont think it will be Diablo 3 or Starcraft 2... Blizard usually waits a year after one major game is released to release another.
I think it will be something minor, maybe War3 for a different platform. The reason that I say this is because Blizzard has public betas of new big games like War3 and Diablo2.

Durandal7
Sep 15, 2002, 04:48 PM
It won't be RTS because teams 1 and 2 are busy with WCIII and WoW (unless it's the expansion) That leaves Blizzard North, the makers of Diablo. North has been working on a secret project since LoD, they have also said that they are tired of Diablo for now. That kind of rules out all of the existing game worlds.

xelterran
Sep 16, 2002, 06:05 AM
hmmm.. well how about this; a SC flight simulator! - im pretty sure no1 has suggested that yet. Anyone fancy flying a wraith or valkyrie? :)

Durandal7
Sep 18, 2002, 09:35 PM
Less then 24 hours until the revelation.

I feel all tingly...

Durandal7
Sep 18, 2002, 10:29 PM
Sorry to double post but,
go to www.blizzard.com

I don't think that Blizzard would do that for something as trivial as porting WCIII to a console :D

Gus
Sep 19, 2002, 12:33 AM
I remember hearing that the parent company for Blizzard, Vivendi, sold much of its holdings about a month ago, which included Bliizzard. I've been trying to dig up that article, but I can't find it.

Gus

Gus
Sep 19, 2002, 12:36 AM
What's that image that's appearing on the new entrance to Blizzard's website?
Looks like a woman wearing armor.

Gus

xelterran
Sep 19, 2002, 08:12 AM
looks like a ghost or maby a hydralisk to me, maby even xel'naga or protoss/zerg hybred..

MacBandit
Sep 20, 2002, 01:01 AM
I can't believe I'm the first to reply since they announced it. The main page entry pic looked like a Ghost because the game is StarCraft Ghost. Check it out.

http://www.Blizzard.com/ghost/

Looks pretty cool. Though at the same time strange because it looks like a First Person Shooter but it's all from a 3rd person camera point of view.

Oh! Once last thing is this is to be a console game only. NO PC/Mac versions periods as per the information in the FAQ.

BongHits
Sep 20, 2002, 03:46 AM
damn beat me to it...console only...im so depressed...but hey maybe i can finally play a game other than halo on my xbox!!!
when did they announce? it's 3:45 in the morning, central.

xelterran
Sep 20, 2002, 04:05 AM
goto www.sclegacy.com and sign their Petitions to try and get blizzard to port Starcraft: Ghost to Mac/PC - worth a try... :rolleyes:

MacBandit
Sep 20, 2002, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by BongHits
damn beat me to it...console only...im so depressed...but hey maybe i can finally play a game other than halo on my xbox!!!
when did they announce? it's 3:45 in the morning, central.

Traitor! Traitor! Using a Microsoft product. Traitor! ;)

jelloshotsrule
Sep 20, 2002, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by MacBandit
I can't believe I'm the first to reply since they announced it.

don't worry, you're not. there's a whole other thread abouti t

well i'll be happy to get it on xbox. though it would be very nice to see it on the mac...