Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Foxtrot01

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2009
Hello all, I have a Sony bravia I bought in 2007, I think is model 2006, and I want to be able to stream online video from my MacBook(late 2009).
There are some websites other than hulu where I can watch episodes of shows.
I want to find out what is the best solution, I know about the itv box but I'm not sure I can stream web video with the itv, I know Sony SNP-N100 has an additional box($89 at costco) plus you can stream Netflix and other Sony apps from the box to the tv.
In other words I want to get the most from the box, online streaming from the box(Netflix, hulu) and be able to streAm online videos/episodes of shows from my MacBook to my tv through the box. It would also be nice if this box allowEd me to use my tv as a monitor.
Any ideas if any of these boxes would do what I want?
Thanks

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
Easiest way is to use a mini-display to VGA adaptor and vga cable to connect it to your HDTV. I think all sony hdtv's have a VGA port. Then get a wireless keyboard and mouse to control your macbook. As long as you can display your streaming video in full screen mode, you won't see all the other junk on your tv, such as the desktop, dock, etc.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Easiest way is to use a mini-display to VGA adaptor and vga cable to connect it to your HDTV.

I didn't comment before because the OP was looking for a separate box (like the Apple TV, Roku Player, Boxee Box, or something similar). However, if the OP is going to connect directly to the TV, going through HDMI would be better quality.

Foxtrot01

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2009
thanks for the reply. I was thinking more on a box like the sony or the Itv.
I know the HDMI cable will be the cheapest solution.
Anyone has experience with the sony box or the itv? which one would be better?
I want to be able to stream episodes from sidereel and sites like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.