Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arcsbite

Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
I'm in the Uk and already have my iPad ordered so this isn;t out of jealousy.

am I the only one that thinks this kind of thing is digusting?
our own marketplace has people selling iPads bought less than 24hrs ago for over $200-$300 over rrp?

I mean really? take that ***** to ebay if you wanna rip people off, this forum doesn't need people like you
you bought it yesterday...so the "I just don't like it"...even though you queue'd for it doesn't play.

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
Just ignore them, dont buy and anyone who does buy from them are rediculous human beings

Last edited by a moderator:

arcsbite

Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Just ignore them, dont buy and anyone who does buy from them are rediculous human beings

True, and those who buy possibly deserve to get screwed over, but it winds me up.
I'm sure there's someone that person knows who missed out on one, why not do the right thing n sell for cost, or better yet if you didn't want it, don't buy it, let those who want it buy it.

free country I s'pose

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
This is like the 4-5th thread on this exact topic today. If you don't think it is a good deal then don't buy it. The market will re-stabilize itself.

thesiren

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2011
outer space
supply and demand. there would have been just as many people standing in lines yesterday if Apple had priced the iPad 2 $300 more than it is now. there were people selling their first place spots in line for $900 yesterday for pete's sake. people can--and will-- pay whatever they want for what they want. it's their money and has nothing to with you or me.

arcsbite

Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
supply and demand. there would have been just as many people standing in lines yesterday if Apple had priced the iPad 2 $300 more than it is now. there were people selling their first place spots in line for $900 yesterday for pete's sake. people can--and will-- pay whatever they want for what they want. it's their money and has nothing to with you or me.

I wasn't disputing that, completely agree
just thought as a community it was a bit crappy that it's happening on the forums.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
It's like blaming drug dealers for the drug problem.

If you wanna blame, drug takers create the market that dealers serve.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
The OP is making it sound like every other post in the Marketplace is filled with scalpers. This isn't the case at all.

Pballer110

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2010
Soon all those prices will level out around retail since there are so many available on CL ebay and other forums.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I wasn't disputing that, completely agree
just thought as a community it was a bit crappy that it's happening on the forums.

It's not against the Marketplace rules, so I don't think they can be stopped. The buyers are free to choose to pay the high prices or not.

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
The right price is whatever the market will bear. It's a simple statement, but one that's so hard for people to comprehend. If it looks like highway robbery to you but someone else was willing to pay for it, well then that's the cost of admission to the game. If you aren't willing to pay it, then move on and don't cry about it. If they don't get what they're asking, then they have no right to cry about low-ballers.

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
I am not so much against the gouging; if someone wants it bad enough to pay the prices, that's their choice. What I disagree with is the people who bought 2 or 4 of these iPads yesterday to sell on eBay, which prevented people behind them from getting the model they wanted or from getting an iPad at all.

However, in the end I just try to remember that we all do douchey things at some point in our lives (likely a couple times each year) and should use such incidents as these to remind ourselves to do better.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
Three words; self centeredness and greed. There would be plenty to go around if it weren't for these losers trying to profit off of a newly released Apple product. They are not Apple retailers, and I doubt the company condones their practices.

Rapmastac1

macrumors 65816
Aug 5, 2006
In the Depths of the SLC!
I don't understand why this really angers you. So what if there are people waiting to get one and I buy the last three. We can stretch this all they way out and we just go around in circles about why it's wrong some people make more money than others. They chose to make an investment whether or not you like it and whether or not it will stop someone else from getting what they want.

What they do with their purchased items is their business and not for you to worry about. I would have a problem if they stole them and sold them, something that goes on with every thing else out there. But I really don't see the issue here.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
I really wish I had a time machine so I could go back to the 90's, when the only things Apple users complained about were politics and Gil Amelio.

What I'm trying to say is, it's unavoidable. The best Apple could do was limit it to 1 per person and not let people hold spots in line (which I am all in favor of, people were holding spots for 10+ people at my store).

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
I didn't post on this forum to sell iPads because I try to do it locally, but you are mad at me because I am trying to make money on a product that is in demand. I do this with sporting events and concerts also, you mad about that. Ya I bought a lot of iPads and sold them and made enough money to buy myself the 64 GB iPad 2, it is a business for me. I am the smart one about it.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I'm in the Uk and already have my iPad ordered so this isn;t out of jealousy.

am I the only one that thinks this kind of thing is digusting?
our own marketplace has people selling iPads bought less than 24hrs ago for over $200-$300 over rrp?

I mean really? take that ***** to ebay if you wanna rip people off, this forum doesn't need people like you
you bought it yesterday...so the "I just don't like it"...even though you queue'd for it doesn't play.

While most other people on this thread are disagreeing with you and bringing up free-market capitalism, and supply and demand and blah blah blah...

In this case, at least, there will be more iPads...so it's totally up to the consumer as to whether they want to spend their money with some greedy reseller (I hate the game, so I'll call you whatever I want).

Now, where I get angry is things like concerts and (even though I don't go to them) sporting events. There are a finite number of tickets. Some asshat reseller goes in and buys up all the tickets, quadruples the price, and starts reselling. THAT I have a real problem with. I think it's immoral, greedy, and the kind of thing that only true douchenozzles do.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
One thing not brought up is that there is a cost associated with waiting in line for a few hours or driving around from store to store. Now I'm not willing to pay the premium (I'd rather just wait until the things are widely available), but it seems reasonable to me that there are some people out there who will want the newest device immediately, and would be willing to pay a premium because they didn't have to spend 4 hours of their life trying to get the device they wanted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.