Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coleg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2004
How can you tell if you've got a dead pixel? I have an Apple 17 inch plastic LCD. It has on tiny spot in the upper left corner area, it looks like a spec of dirt or dust, but it won't wipe off. Is this a dead pixel?

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Sounds like it. Sometimes they're dead, i.e. black. Other times they're stuck on a particular color. I have one dead one, one pixel in from the edge in the upper right corner. It's hard to even notice it, actually.

coleg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2004
yeah, it is hard to notice, it's just a bummer because i spent $500 on this.

is there anyway to fix them?

cmvsm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2004
I believe it depends on what color it is. If its black I think you are SOL. If it is Red or Green, you can get a soft cloth and GENTLY rub it in a circular motion. Sometimes they come back on. It may happen if you power on and off...just depends.

If its not directly in the middle of the screen you will never notice it. Its like trying to notice a bad blade of grass in your lawn... :D

coleg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2004
i am thinking about selling it. how much do you think i could get for a 17 inch apple lcd with 1 bad pixel?

L

Lau

Sounds crazy, but you sure it's not a speck of dust? I nearly had a heart attack when I had a very firmly stuck on piece of dirt that seemed exactly pixel sized and shaped. Had to rub it scarily hard, but it rubbed off in the end.

coleg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2004
yeah. i'm pretty sure it's a stuck pixel.

poo. how much should i sell it for do you think? i'm bummed out now.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
Even though it is agravating to a new owner of the LCD screen, one dead pixel is within specs accordin to the LCD industry. When you get a new LCD, there is no gurantee your new monitor does not have a dead pixel. It may be possible it may have "more" stuck or dead pixels. So far, all of my 5 notebook computers do not have a dead pixel. But, my 23 inch LCD TV (by LG) has three dead or stuck pixels in the center area of the screen.

coleg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2004
i am planning on getting a new powerbook. should i be worried about them having dead pixels?

coleg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2004
but, this should be no reason not to buy a powerbook, right?

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
coleg said:
but, this should be no reason not to buy a powerbook, right?

right. Because any laptop, no matter who makes it, has the risk of having a couple dead pixels.

I've got one dead pixel on my LCD and I cant even notice it unless I'm looking for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.