Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeighAnna Jones

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2010
Just because I am who I am, I plan on saving up five hundred and buying an iPad 2 in white.

Now, I really like the smart covers... but what about the back of the iPad?! Maybe I don't want the back of my Ipad to look like it's been from WW2 and back!

So my question is, uhm... could I get like a screen protector for the back? I know they have them for the iTouch, so isn't it just logical to have them for the iPad?? Thanks for any responses, hope to be posting here again about my new iPad. (If I can actually save up the $$$)

Nde

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Zagg makes a full front and back shield. Some people do not like the feel and texture of the shield. But I personally love it. I found my daughter writing with a real mechanical pencil on my ipad. The shield protect it fine. Ipad2 shield are not put yet but I think it would be soon.

For the record, I do not work for zagg.

jdminpdx

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2010
Tried one out today. It was not for me. It looks good but protection is lacking and when folded behind the iPad, it got in the way (yes I know it can be removed, but that also got tedious)

JROC453

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
South Florida
I bought one on Friday with the iPad but I will be taking it back.it's Cool... But kinda useless. I have a 5 yr old that uses it so for us:rolleyes: not enough protection.

Charlie Sheen

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2011
Mars
zagg is making someking of a invisible shield for the backside of the ipad 1 so the version for the ipad 2 will be out there soon.

dmaul1114

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2011
I like it as I want something minimal and that can be easily removed, unlike the tight fitting iPad 1 case.

Bought a neoprene netbook sleeve to keep it in when throwing it in my briefcase etc. to protect it better.

brudog68

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2011
TN USA
Yeah,I'm not too crazy about my new smart cover either. There is definitely something ingenious going on there, but it just misses the mark. Unless you want to take it off each time, I felt holding on to the iPad with my left hand with the cover back, it would eventually put too much stress where the magnets connect, somewhat moving them back and forth so much. Still felt very delicate too, if protecting it is any concern, you're still gonna feel naked and worried you're gonna drop it etc.

v66jack

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
London, UK
Not bad. I had been using my original iPad naked for almost a year. Not a single scratch.

Same. I have had the original iPad a year now, never had a case except the last couple of weeks when I got one free from work. It has been thrown around in bags, cars you name it. I'm not an Apple fan boy in that I look after stuff terribly well. The back is perfect like it's just come out the box. The front has a couple scratches on it, but nothing serious.

So I'll defiantly be getting a smart cover, no need to worry about the back in my experience.

imutter

macrumors 6502
yeah 3rd party accessories will be out in no time ......there will be something for everyone .....I have more issues with my phone which I liked because it was supose to be more resistant and I planed on having it bare ..........yeah I got antenna glitch BAD no calls no internet with out cover for me. Perhaps better I broke my screens on 3 iphones already

thirdeyeopen666

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2007
Tried one out today. It was not for me. It looks good but protection is lacking and when folded behind the iPad, it got in the way (yes I know it can be removed, but that also got tedious)

This hits the nail on the head. I bought the black leather one with my iPad 2. I really wanted to like it, but it is seriously lacking in functionality. It does look great when closed, and succeeds where the original Apple iPad case failed in being a good upright stand. However, the angled typing stand mode isn't as sturdy as the original apple case. I'm going back to my favorite case (besides the old apple one) now that there is an iPad 2 version. In case anyone is interested, its the Marware Eco-Vue case. The Smart Cover is getting returned.

mloffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2009
As a case, it will do nothing. It really offers very little protection.
But I really really love using it as a stand.
So until there is something else out there that won't add pounds to the iPad, I'll be keeping mine.

csjcsj

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2011
Sarasota FL
It's interesting that Apple won't let you rate it on the Apple store pages. The polyurethane case doest hold up as a stand on slick surfaces.

dmaul1114

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2011
I just wish the darn thing would stick magnetically to the back when folded open.

But is that really any different than the iPad 1 case (or any other folding case) that has a flap that you fold back and have to hold in place?

I like this one better as I can just quickly pull it off and use the iPad naked.

Kadin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
I saw on another thread that the smart case can be folded in half. When I have it in the back and am holding it ith one hand I usually fold it in half so the cover doesn't hang.
I've learned that this is the best way to hold it when I'm holding with just one hand, which is pretty much most of the time. It actually gives it almost an additional grip in a way as well. Plus the inside of the cover, which directly touches the screen, isn't getting excessive dust and oil from your skin since it's closed in on itself.

EvilC5

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
Hanover MD
I got the smart cover and zagg s creen protector. The smart cover is nice, closes and lines up every time. Easy to remove if needed. Wish it protected more but it's nice. As for the zagg, it wouldn't line up with the camera opening and home button. It's a few mm too tall. Took it back. For 30 bucks, it better line up perfect.

I will probably get a soft case or something to keep it in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.