Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NZed

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?
Hi guys

I'm looking forward to buying a cheap Edifier 2.0 Speakers that i'll be using it temporarily. The speakers are USB powered.

Now i've read at lowendmac.com and it said that

Editor's note: The next two paragraphs are from the profile of the previous version of the MacBook Pro. At this time we do not know if they apply to the new Unibody model.

Unlike early MacBooks, where every USB port could provide 500 mA of power, only one USB port provides full power - the port closer to the front.

Is this true? The USB power part? I have the 7,1 MBP. I'll also be buying a Targus USB hub for mac. So if the above is true, i have to plug in my usb hub to the port closer to the front to be able to power the speakers to full power?

Thanks in advance!

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
Hi guys

I'm looking forward to buying a cheap Edifier 2.0 Speakers that i'll be using it temporarily. The speakers are USB powered.

Is this true? The USB power part? I have the 7,1 MBP. I'll also be buying a Targus USB hub for mac. So if the above is true, i have to plug in my usb hub to the port closer to the front to be able to power the speakers to full power?

Thanks in advance!
thats probably not true. Besides if you are using a hub it should have a power adapter of its own so it wouldn't matter anyway.

USB powered speakers aren't known for their sound quality, I hope you aren't spending a lot of money on them.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Hi guys

Thanks in advance!

This only applies when running off battery, whilst on AC both will supply full power. At least, to my recollection of experiencing it myself.

gullySn0wCat

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2010
USB powered speakers aren't known for their sound quality, I hope you aren't spending a lot of money on them.

Ummm...

harman-kardon-sound-sticks.jpg

grahamnp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008
If you have a powered USB hub like suggested above, you will have no issues but if you have one of those you could easily use a 2 into 1 power adapter and get powered speakers and better sound. Unless you've heard them and like them already, you should know that USB powered speakers typically don't sound much better than the built in speakers and those on the MBP and pretty much any premium modern laptop are quite decent.

NZed

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?
thanks guys

i've decided not to buy the speakers now. i've always wanted a 5.1 speakers anyways

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.