Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lightning inc.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
Macbook Air can be opened with one single hand like the MBP or you should hold the bottom part?

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Slowly, and if the MBA doesn't slide away because it's on a slippery surface. But the MBA is so light that it slides around easily on some slick enough surfaces.

bmat

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2004
East Coast, USA
I got mine like right at launch, and I need to just hold the bottom a little or else it lifts the bottom. So the hinge hasn't really loosened yet.

Applepi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Like others mentioned, I can normally open with one finger if its on a non-slippery surface.

namtaB

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2011
Not in my experience. Its so light and the rubber feet aren't very grippy so it slides around all over the place when trying to open it with one hand.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
I can open my 11" with one finger up until 45 degrees, and then the bottom is so light that the front bottom of the Air starts to lift off the ground.

lightning inc.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
I can open my 11" with one finger up until 45 degrees, and then the bottom is so light that the front bottom of the Air starts to lift off the ground.

this is my main concern.
though I really want new mac, I think I'll wait for the next gen MBA because I want it to be my daily drive.

Charlie Sheen

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2011
Mars
It's very easy to open it with one hand but as a postr above say depends on the surface and you have to do it slowly.

Kenndac

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2003
You're delaying buying a computer because you might have to use two hands to open it?

Crazy! :eek:

namtaB

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2011
hate to hear that:(
it is kind of a deal breaker for me.

I have a 13" which could be the main reason. My guess is that physics dictates the 11" would be easier to open with one hand.

Why is that a deal breaker? Do you have one arm? (not trying to make a cruel joke, its a serious question).

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Ive got an 11 inch MBA (bought on launch), and while it does matter for the most part what surface its on, I can easily open it with one hand without the bottom lifting up. This is more of an issue if there a slick surface, where you might have to open it a little slower. And yes, if you open it too fast, the bottom will lift. I have rarely ever found the need to use 2 hands to open my MBA.

The 13inch MBA is much easier to open with one hand. I played with one in the store and the bottom never lifted up. Also, watch the MBA commercial. They open the 13 inch MBA with one finger.. easy shmeasy.

Last edited:

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
You're delaying buying a computer because you might have to use two hands to open it?

Crazy! :eek:

Everyone may not be as fortunate to have 2 hands (no offense OP, I'm not assuming anything, I'm just trying to make a point). Things do happen (ie, 127 hours), so I can understand why this would be an important consideration for some...

abriwin

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2009
Wot?

Cheesus chrise I really cannot believe that someone would base their buying decision on whether or not you can open a MBA with only one hand. I seem to remember a time when folks complained the hinges were too loose.
For me they struck a perfect balance between too tight and too loose. Get a life.

alan111

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2010
mine is a little tighter at the hinges, but in the apple store, I have been able to open the lids with one hand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.