PDA

View Full Version : Wireless on eMac PPC G4

lembi2001
Mar 13, 2011, 10:35 AM
Hi all

I have just acquired an eMac PPC G4 1.42 GHz running 1GB Ram.

The machine runs really well for its age and i am playing about with it to try and learn how to administrate mac os x.

It is running Mac OS X 10.5.8 and i am trying to get some sort of wireless access setup on it.

I have two wireless dongles at home one of which i believe is compatible with Mac OS. The other definitely isn't from what i have found.

The one i am trying to use is the Inventel Adapter that came with the old Wanadoo Live Boxes. The Adapter has the Maodel Number of UR054g(R01) v1.1.

I have located numerous drivers for this adapter however the don't appear to work.

I have tried the drivers for both the Atmel and the Inventel Unex found on this page:
http://www.porciello.com/inventel/

I have also tried this driver found another site:
PrismSingleSource_MACOSX_Binary_1.0.6_AllVendors.pkg

I was hoping someone would be able to point me in the right direction (I know that i can just put an airport card in but i don't have one of these).

The other Dongle i have is the Nintendo WiFi USB Connector and from what i can tell this one is definitely NOT compatible with Mac OS X

Thanks

MacHamster68
Mar 13, 2011, 11:17 AM
sorry mate these dongles are a nightmare , some work, others not,and a few say they work with OSX...possibly a marketing thing , some work under panther others under tiger others under leopard only , save yourself the hassle and just get a aiport express card and plug it in its slot above the optical drive ,
it doesn't cost more then a proper dongle , but at least it is compatible with OSX

sorry i prefer ethernet and use normally no wifi if there is any way to avoid it, even bought one of those http://www.patton.com/products/pe_products.asp?category=146 so i can use one of my eMacs in the garden too , as wifi just does not get that far through walls ( distance is only about 20 meters distance , but steel inside walls prevents the use of wireless , one wall is ok ,at the second wireless is reduced to half and on the third reduced to below gprs speeds )

WGoins88
Mar 13, 2011, 11:27 AM
Either get an Airport Extreme card, OR I personally recommend this -

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer%20Technology/MXP2802GU2/

I bought two of those, and love them. By far the fastest wireless USB adapter I have ever had, plus you can't beat the price. My Dad has one of them on his Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop, and the other is on my 1.42 eMac. Both work great.

lembi2001
Mar 13, 2011, 11:28 AM
i was really hoping not too spend on any money if truth be told. i was given it by someone at work with all the software. that's the reason i was hoping to use one of the dongles i have lying round the house. I'll have to see if anyone i know has a spare airport express card then.

cheers

skinniezinho
Mar 13, 2011, 11:38 AM
Check the link in my sig, lot's of cheap wifi options for your emac :D

MacHamster68
Mar 13, 2011, 11:43 AM
i was really hoping not too spend on any money if truth be told. i was given it by someone at work with all the software. that's the reason i was hoping to use one of the dongles i have lying round the house. I'll have to see if anyone i know has a spare airport express card then.

cheers
if your router /dsl modem is not to far away a simple ethernet cable cat5 will sort that problem way cheaper then any dongle ,usually there is even one included with modems/routers, so you might even be luckier to get one of them from someone you know , the cables are so small and can be hidden under a carpet or so

iLucas
Mar 18, 2011, 08:44 AM
Personally I use a Rosewill wireless usb adapter that i picked up from newegg for 14$
It has never given me problems since i've started using it.