Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tknier

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2011
Regarding the AT&T iPad...

Does anyone know for sure whether you can access all of AT&T's free wifi hotspots (ie at Starbucks, barnes and noble, etc) WITHOUT activating a data plan? It sorta seems too good to be true, and when I spoke with a few different ppl on the phone at AT&T they seemed less than knowledgeable (though all seemed to think that you could in fact access the hotspots without paying for one of the monthly subscription plans).

I guess I'm just looking for an AT&T iPad owner out there to verify that they've been able to use a hotspot without paying for the data service.

Thanks!!!

carlili4190

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
Regarding the AT&T iPad...

Does anyone know for sure whether you can access all of AT&T's free wifi hotspots (ie at Starbucks, barnes and noble, etc) WITHOUT activating a data plan? It sorta seems too good to be true, and when I spoke with a few different ppl on the phone at AT&T they seemed less than knowledgeable (though all seemed to think that you could in fact access the hotspots without paying for one of the monthly subscription plans).

I guess I'm just looking for an AT&T iPad owner out there to verify that they've been able to use a hotspot without paying for the data service.

Thanks!!!

I went to starbucks last night that had Att wifi and I had no problem connecting( I have a wifi only iPad)

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US

Can't speak to ipad2, but on my AT&T 3G iPad1 I've always been able to link up to the attwifi SSID and do not have the 3G data service enabled.

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
AT&T hotspots at Starbucks and McDonalds are now free for anyone to use. Just remember to first use your browser to accept their terms of use. Until you do so, none of your apps can access the internet.

Im not sure about B&N.

blurb23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
AT&T hotspots at Starbucks and McDonalds are now free for anyone to use. Just remember to first use your browser to accept their terms of use. Until you do so, none of your apps can access the internet.

Im not sure about B&N.

Does this work for any device? And all you have to do is accept the terms within your browser after connecting?

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Does this work for any device? And all you have to do is accept the terms within your browser after connecting?

Originally, AT&T had a special provision for the iPhone and iPad at it's hotspot locations. But just recently, Starbucks and McDonalds have made their wifi access free to everyone. So yes, any device or computer can connect. The iPad needs to accept their terms when you first connect each time you use their network, and so does any other computer. The iPhone however, seamlessly connects after you select the their wifi network in your settings. This only needs to be done once.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.