PDA

View Full Version : What 2 Button Mouse Should I buy?

kukheart
Feb 20, 2005, 11:45 PM
I love my i-mac but it's time to get a new mouse, no more 1 click for me. Can anyone tell me the best one to get, without going over $50. Thanks

ravenvii
Feb 21, 2005, 12:09 AM
While much more than 2 buttons, the MX500/510 is the best (wired) mouse ou can buy (IMO). It costs $33ish at NewEgg.

If you're strict about the two buttons rule, a run-of-the-mill Microsoft optical wheel mouse will rock your world.

Pittsax
Feb 21, 2005, 12:32 AM
If you're strict about the two buttons rule, a run-of-the-mill Microsoft optical wheel mouse will rock your world.
As odd as it feels at first, I have to agree. I've been using the vanilla Micro$oft optical wheel mouse ever since I got my Mac -- it forgave me in a few hours.

sirius1722
Feb 21, 2005, 12:44 AM
I think both suggestions so far are good ones. The Logitech MX500 or MX510 are great mice, very ergonomical (provided you're a righty), scroll wheel works great and you can use the extra buttons for expose stuff. I have the MX900 and love it. You can get either the 500 or the 510 for under $50.

I also like the basic Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer. The scroll wheel is kind of light, but works well, and is pretty comfortable. I think they retail for like $25 or something, but I've seen em in computer stores without boxes or manuals (not like you need em...) for $10. Can't beat that!

sjpetry
Feb 21, 2005, 01:10 AM
The Mouse (http://www.dvforge.com/themouse.shtml) will match your mac, they also have a BT one. :)

ravenvii
Feb 21, 2005, 01:20 AM
I'm getting really annoyed by the suggestions for The Mouse. There's many posts in this forum, and elsewhere, about that company. They're a sleazy company that takes $5 products, rebrand them, and resell them for $60. And they still are $5 products. They feel cheap, they have weird issues. The only thing they're good for is that they look matched to the Mac, and they don't even look that good in person either.

It's a borderline SCAM. And you people keep bringing them up. ARRGH I can hardly take it anymore.

Hell I don't know why I bothered.

rant over.

sjpetry
Feb 21, 2005, 01:39 AM
I'm getting really annoyed by the suggestions for The Mouse. There's many posts in this forum, and elsewhere, about that company. They're a sleazy company that takes $5 products, rebrand them, and resell them for $60. And they still are $5 products. They feel cheap, they have weird issues. The only thing they're good for is that they look matched to the Mac, and they don't even look that good in person either.

It's a borderline SCAM. And you people keep bringing them up. ARRGH I can hardly take it anymore.

rant over.
I never said they were good, I just said they will match. ;) :rolleyes:

Eastend
Feb 21, 2005, 02:05 AM
Bought a Microsoft wireless 2 button mouse with scroll wheel 4 months ago,
works great (works like it's not a Microsoft product) have not replaced the batteries and use it everyday. Do not think the colors will match an iMac, but they had a lot of colors to choose from.

Brian

Xeem
Feb 21, 2005, 02:29 AM
I feel dirty saying this, but Microsoft mice are very good.

sparky76
Feb 21, 2005, 03:59 AM
I use the MicroSoft 5 button mouse, with Expose F9 mapped to button 4 and Expose F11 mapped to button 5. A huge time-saver and a very nice mouse to use.

redeye be
Feb 21, 2005, 04:25 AM
Can the sideways scrolling (of the wheel on some m$ mice) be programmed/set to use expose?

Jaffa Cake
Feb 21, 2005, 07:33 AM
While much more than 2 buttons, the MX500/510 is the best (wired) mouse ou can buy (IMO).I recently upgraded to the MX510 from the standard Apple one-buttoner and I have no complaints at all. Its a great little mouse very comfortable and the novelty of being able to control expose and various other functions through my mouse hasn't worn off yet! :cool:

So, another nod for the MX510.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Feb 21, 2005, 08:15 AM
Cannot tell you which to buy, but I can warn you about buying this one: The Kensington Pocket Mouse Pro Wireless (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=T6057LL/A). It's my worst buy ever, in any cathegory. The range is well under 1 meter (~3 feet - not eve a real arms length) and it's very unpresice... Totally useless unless it's within 10 cm (4 inches) of the, oversized, Home-RF dongle it comes with... :mad:

Just stay away from this one... ;)

primalman
Feb 21, 2005, 08:33 AM
The Mouse (http://www.dvforge.com/themouse.shtml) will match your mac, they also have a BT one. :)

The only problem with that is that the company is owned by none other than Jack Campbell, a known liar and braggart in Macintosh forums. He's a tool. I hope no one gives him any more money.

broken_keyboard
Feb 21, 2005, 08:51 AM
If you use the Intellimouse then use it without Microsoft's driver. I have found it works fine and is 100% compatible, but if I install the MS driver then some games cease to work.

Bibulous
Feb 21, 2005, 09:10 AM
The only problem with that is that the company is owned by none other than Jack Campbell, a known liar and braggart in Macintosh forums. He's a tool. I hope no one gives him any more money.

That's too bad, I was looking forward to trying the BT model if I ever get around to buying a new system, wanted a 2 button that would match the keyboard, but with these comments and the $60 price, guess I'll keep looking...

erickg
Feb 21, 2005, 09:21 AM
Has anyone read about/tried this bluetooth 3-button mouse:

http://www.trust.com/products/product.aspx?artnr=14231

I'm also in the market for a mouse and this one doesn't look half bad + has a pretty good price point (half the price of Apples BT mouse in Sweden!).

YS2003
Feb 21, 2005, 12:41 PM
I use Logistech MX 1000 Laser Mouse and M$ Wireless IntelliMouse Exlore 2.0 for my Al and Ti PBs running OS X 10.3.7. I intalled the drivers from their CDs which came with them my PB. Both of them works very well (I held off till today for installing the drivers from their disks as I was weary about installing the third party drivers on the input devices).

Jo-Kun
Feb 21, 2005, 01:31 PM
I use my Logitech wheel mouse optical (the first they ever made...) its together with the 17" screen the last part of my PC-user existence that I still use... the Mac mouse is big, slow, not that good in general, lacks at least a scrollwheel (wake-up steve!!!)

I like Logitech mice... I had a BT Microsoft mouse, but that was even slower than the one from apple... so I gave up on that one too...

J

Dale Sorel
Feb 21, 2005, 02:27 PM
I have an MX500 and I think it's great :cool:

mowogg
Feb 21, 2005, 02:49 PM
I have a Kensington "mouse in a box" optical scroll-wheel and it has been great. It's a little light-weight, but it was only $14.95 at CompUSA. It's also silver and matched my monitor & G5!

I remember when Apple mice were ADB and PC mice were PS2. God bless the USB bus. I think that moving to USB has been the best move Apple ever made.

ump3
Feb 21, 2005, 05:59 PM
Logitech MX 510! Don't know how I coped without it. Really is an excellent bit of kit. I've reprogrammed the button directly beneath the scroll wheel to 'Hide' applications, because I still use OS X the same way I used OS 9! :) old habits die hard (Like Bruce Willis in a vest) :)

dswoodley
Feb 21, 2005, 06:10 PM

rant over.

Sorry you feel that way.

No it's not the super best mouse ever, but I like mine just fine. It feels just like the Apple pro mouse and yes, i'm willing to pay the bucks for it.

Each to his own...

Hoef
Feb 21, 2005, 07:19 PM
I like the concept of logitect MX900 (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2135,CONTENTID=7110) but don't need the hub .... Basically I am looking for a 2 button BT mouse that can recharge on a cradle .... I don't think it can be done

TIGERmac
Feb 21, 2005, 07:53 PM
I like the concept of logitect MX900 (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2135,CONTENTID=7110) but don't need the hub .... Basically I am looking for a 2 button BT mouse that can recharge on a cradle .... I don't think it can be done

You and I are searching for the same product. I've searched and searched and haven't come up with anything yet.

Originally, I was looking for a 2 button scroll wheel mouse with additional buttons for Expose' and such. I had my heart set on a white mouse (to match my beautiful iMac.

Shoot, I could care less about color now.

I really like my Apple BT mouse despite its flaws, but I think the improved functionality of a multi-button mouse cannot be denied.

Come on Apple, let's get with the game! I don't care if you continue to ship a 1 button mouse with new Macs...at least offer a 2 button.

VAmin
Feb 21, 2005, 11:24 PM
I'm also looking for a good two-button scrolling optical BT mouse... white preferable (never happen, I know...)

Any thoughts? Want it to go with an iMac G5....

redeye be
Feb 22, 2005, 03:40 AM
Has anyone read about/tried this bluetooth 3-button mouse:

http://www.trust.com/products/product.aspx?artnr=14231

<personal oponion> in general: Trust sucks </personal opinion>

I odered 7 wireless (not BT) desksets @ work. Besides from looking and feeling cheap, the driver wasn't up to handling more than one account on XP (then again, who cares about win ;) ).
I suggest u only buy Trust when u had the chance to try it out, feel the feel, click the click.

The good part about the trusts here @ work is that i got them all replaced by logitechs by the reseller :) now those are a bit nicer ;)

ump3
Feb 22, 2005, 04:47 AM

hub & cradle? aren't they the same thing?

Dagless
Feb 22, 2005, 05:35 AM
im using a Logitech V500 for my PB. good little thing. strongly recommended for portable use.

desktop use? that logitech laser mouse. MX1000 is it? seems to be getting some very good reviews.

Hoef
Feb 22, 2005, 07:21 AM
hub & cradle? aren't they the same thing?

Yeah for the Logitech it is .... The hub/cradle is connected through USB, you pay a lot of $$$ to have the BT hub (and give up an USB port). I already have BT so just looking for a BT mouse but that can also recharge itself (cradle).

davidanderson1
Feb 22, 2005, 08:33 AM
i too am looking for a rechargeable bluetooth 2-button mouse that doesn't come with a hub, since i already have BT on my Powerbook. Check out http://www.dvforge.com/themousebt.shtml - it seems to be almost everything i want except for the recharging cradle, but I have heard bad things about it. Any opinions?

I am also considering the MX1000, it seems like a good mouse.

VAmin
Feb 22, 2005, 09:02 AM
Is it possible that BT mice with hubs will operate without the hub?

Creative
Feb 22, 2005, 09:04 AM
Hi
looked at the JohnLewis website here in uk and they seem to sell THE MOUSE!! it may match the computer, but in real life it looks shoddy and i have used one - not recommended! seem more grace and stability from the star wars kid! the worse part is how the hell did john lewis come to sell them?!!!!

Creative.

tykles
Feb 22, 2005, 09:43 AM
Here are a few I've found for my new Powerbook. I ordered this one from IOgearhttp://www.iogear.com/main.php?loc=product&Item=GME225B , but I was also looking at this one from Anycomhttp://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=498677&Action=Detail , but I didn't know anything about the comapny. The nice thing abuot both is that they charge over USB, and are fully functional while recharging. At home, I use a Logitech MX 700, and I love ithttp://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?page=products/details&CRID=3&CONTENTID=4999&countryid=19&languageid=1

ravenvii
Feb 22, 2005, 10:15 AM
Is it possible that BT mice with hubs will operate without the hub?

Yep, if you have a bluetooth dongle, or have bluetooth installed in your computer, you can use it without the hub. But you'll still have to keep the hub around for when you need to recharge your mouse.