Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kukheart

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2003
Dallas
I love my i-mac but it's time to get a new mouse, no more 1 click for me. Can anyone tell me the best one to get, without going over $50. Thanks

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
While much more than 2 buttons, the MX500/510 is the best (wired) mouse ou can buy (IMO). It costs $33ish at NewEgg.

If you're strict about the two buttons rule, a run-of-the-mill Microsoft optical wheel mouse will rock your world.

Pittsax

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
Raven VII said:
If you're strict about the two buttons rule, a run-of-the-mill Microsoft optical wheel mouse will rock your world.
As odd as it feels at first, I have to agree. I've been using the vanilla Micro$oft optical wheel mouse ever since I got my Mac -- it forgave me in a few hours.

sirius1722

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2004
Seattle-area, WA
I think both suggestions so far are good ones. The Logitech MX500 or MX510 are great mice, very ergonomical (provided you're a righty), scroll wheel works great and you can use the extra buttons for expose stuff. I have the MX900 and love it. You can get either the 500 or the 510 for under $50.

I also like the basic Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer. The scroll wheel is kind of light, but works well, and is pretty comfortable. I think they retail for like $25 or something, but I've seen em in computer stores without boxes or manuals (not like you need em...) for $10. Can't beat that!

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
I'm getting really annoyed by the suggestions for The Mouse. There's many posts in this forum, and elsewhere, about that company. They're a sleazy company that takes $5 products, rebrand them, and resell them for $60. And they still are $5 products. They feel cheap, they have weird issues. The only thing they're good for is that they look matched to the Mac, and they don't even look that good in person either.

It's a borderline SCAM. And you people keep bringing them up. ARRGH I can hardly take it anymore.

Hell I don't know why I bothered.

rant over.

sjpetry

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2004
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
Raven VII said:
I'm getting really annoyed by the suggestions for The Mouse. There's many posts in this forum, and elsewhere, about that company. They're a sleazy company that takes $5 products, rebrand them, and resell them for $60. And they still are $5 products. They feel cheap, they have weird issues. The only thing they're good for is that they look matched to the Mac, and they don't even look that good in person either.

It's a borderline SCAM. And you people keep bringing them up. ARRGH I can hardly take it anymore.

rant over.
I never said they were good, I just said they will match. ;) :rolleyes:

Eastend

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2004
Nara, Japan
Bought a Microsoft wireless 2 button mouse with scroll wheel 4 months ago,
works great (works like it's not a Microsoft product) have not replaced the batteries and use it everyday. Do not think the colors will match an iMac, but they had a lot of colors to choose from.

Brian

sparky76

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2003
I use the MicroSoft 5 button mouse, with Expose F9 mapped to button 4 and Expose F11 mapped to button 5. A huge time-saver and a very nice mouse to use.

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
m$ sideways scrolling & expose

Can the sideways scrolling (of the wheel on some m$ mice) be programmed/set to use expose?

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Raven VII said:
While much more than 2 buttons, the MX500/510 is the best (wired) mouse ou can buy (IMO).
I recently upgraded to the MX510 from the standard Apple one-buttoner and I have no complaints at all. It’s a great little mouse – very comfortable and the novelty of being able to control expose and various other functions through my mouse hasn't worn off yet! :cool:

So, another nod for the MX510.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Cannot tell you which to buy, but I can warn you about buying this one: The Kensington Pocket Mouse Pro Wireless. It's my worst buy ever, in any cathegory. The range is well under 1 meter (~3 feet - not eve a real arms length) and it's very unpresice... Totally useless unless it's within 10 cm (4 inches) of the, oversized, Home-RF dongle it comes with... :mad:

Just stay away from this one... ;)

broken_keyboard

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Secret Moon base
If you use the Intellimouse then use it without Microsoft's driver. I have found it works fine and is 100% compatible, but if I install the MS driver then some games cease to work.

Bibulous

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
primalman said:
The only problem with that is that the company is owned by none other than Jack Campbell, a known liar and braggart in Macintosh forums. He's a tool. I hope no one gives him any more money.

That's too bad, I was looking forward to trying the BT model if I ever get around to buying a new system, wanted a 2 button that would match the keyboard, but with these comments and the $60 price, guess I'll keep looking...

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
MX1000 laser mouse and M$ Wireless IntelliMouse

I use Logistech MX 1000 Laser Mouse and M$ Wireless IntelliMouse Exlore 2.0 for my Al and Ti PBs running OS X 10.3.7. I intalled the drivers from their CDs which came with them my PB. Both of them works very well (I held off till today for installing the drivers from their disks as I was weary about installing the third party drivers on the input devices).

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
I use my Logitech wheel mouse optical (the first they ever made...) its together with the 17" screen the last part of my PC-user existence that I still use... the Mac mouse is big, slow, not that good in general, lacks at least a scrollwheel (wake-up steve!!!)

I like Logitech mice... I had a BT Microsoft mouse, but that was even slower than the one from apple... so I gave up on that one too...

J

mowogg

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2004
San Gabriel, CA
I have a Kensington "mouse in a box" optical scroll-wheel and it has been great. It's a little light-weight, but it was only $14.95 at CompUSA. It's also silver and matched my monitor & G5!

I remember when Apple mice were ADB and PC mice were PS2. God bless the USB bus. I think that moving to USB has been the best move Apple ever made.

ump3

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2003
Logitech MX 510! Don't know how I coped without it. Really is an excellent bit of kit. I've reprogrammed the button directly beneath the scroll wheel to 'Hide' applications, because I still use OS X the same way I used OS 9! :) old habits die hard (Like Bruce Willis in a vest) :)

dswoodley

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Raven VII said:

rant over.

Sorry you feel that way.

No it's not the super best mouse ever, but I like mine just fine. It feels just like the Apple pro mouse and yes, i'm willing to pay the bucks for it.

Each to his own...

TIGERmac

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2004
Hoef said:
I like the concept of logitect MX900 but don't need the hub .... Basically I am looking for a 2 button BT mouse that can recharge on a cradle .... I don't think it can be done

You and I are searching for the same product. I've searched and searched and haven't come up with anything yet.

Originally, I was looking for a 2 button scroll wheel mouse with additional buttons for Expose' and such. I had my heart set on a white mouse (to match my beautiful iMac.

Shoot, I could care less about color now.

I really like my Apple BT mouse despite its flaws, but I think the improved functionality of a multi-button mouse cannot be denied.

Come on Apple, let's get with the game! I don't care if you continue to ship a 1 button mouse with new Macs...at least offer a 2 button.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.