PDA

View Full Version : Sidebar and system icons

bedifferent
Mar 13, 2011, 02:29 PM
Wondering if anyone has found the side bar icons and system folders, etc in Lion. In /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources I found png's for sidebar icons in sizes 16/18/32 (most likely small/medium/large?). I replaced them with custom color icons I created as I hate the grey sidebar icons but it didn't seem to take (I was able to replace a lot of the system icons manually).

Any idea's?

HawaiiMacAddict
Mar 13, 2011, 04:24 PM
I took a look at the plist files, but couldn't find anything other than the icons that show up at the top in the middle. They're the ones with color. I did find one thing interesting, however - in the Resources folder are icons for Drop Box, as shown in the attachment. Maybe this indicates Apple purchasing Drop Box for integration into Lion. We'll have to see if this remains until the final, consumer, release.

I agree with you on the lack of color thing - it really seems quite un-Apple like. Even the icons in the sidebar of iTunes look better than this.

bedifferent
Mar 13, 2011, 09:24 PM
I took a look at the plist files, but couldn't find anything other than the icons that show up at the top in the middle. They're the ones with color. I did find one thing interesting, however - in the Resources folder are icons for Drop Box, as shown in the attachment. Maybe this indicates Apple purchasing Drop Box for integration into Lion. We'll have to see if this remains until the final, consumer, release.

Yeah that's the folder, and I didn't even notice the "Dropbox" icons lol. Very interesting.

I replaced a lot of those icons and sidebar icons from a frameworks-resource file with colored versions, haven't rebooted yet but I'm curious if it'll take. I replaced the iTunes sidebar icons with the .rsrc file, it'd be nice to have the same fix for Finder and Mail.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/ember/BAuuhnzSrRkcLmiPF4oYRwW3nvLMEbj5_m.png

infernohellion
Mar 13, 2011, 09:34 PM
Very interesting..

"Dropbox" -vs- "Drop Box"

bedifferent
Mar 13, 2011, 09:52 PM
Very interesting..

"Dropbox" -vs- "Drop Box"

Hmmm, think that the slight difference in name means not THE Dropbox?

MattInOz
Mar 13, 2011, 11:11 PM
Every user already has a standard drop box in their user's public folder.
It uses a generic folder icon. Maybe someone finally got around to giving it a decent icon?

I guess it hasn't been moved up a level in to the user folder proper?
It's always been odd that drop box was in the public folder but sites wasn't.
I was sort of hoping the whole shared user/user public/sites/ drop box might have gotten a bit of a rethink now that air drop is being added to the mix.

gui_dos
Mar 14, 2011, 02:39 AM
There are others copies in System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/FinderKit.framework/Resources.

bedifferent
Mar 14, 2011, 09:57 AM
There are others copies in System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/FinderKit.framework/Resources.

Yeah I noticed that too, it was almost an exact copy of the Finder.app/Resources folder. I modified that as well. Interesting that Lion seems to be using frameworks much more so than previous OS X incarnations.

ghostlines
Mar 15, 2011, 11:34 AM
Man do these icons look ugly the look "ubuntu gnome like". It seems that they're decided on the icons being greyed out now, just like they did in iTunes. Huge bummer, we're visual and it would be much easier to distinguish with color imo. Hope the developers give apple that feedback.

bedifferent
Mar 15, 2011, 03:09 PM
Man do these icons look ugly the look "ubuntu gnome like". It seems that they're decided on the icons being greyed out now, just like they did in iTunes. Huge bummer, we're visual and it would be much easier to distinguish with color imo. Hope the developers give apple that feedback.

Agreed. It's been reported on the dev forums, it seems it's an issue with many.

Colors are instinctively the easiest to notice than monochrome labels. Google "The Stroop Effect", an old psychological study that demonstrates we are inherently inclined to recognize this blue as red, not blue, etc. Hopefully Apple will make adjustments for the better.

I've spent hours weeding through system files and only found two locations for the three necessary sidebar icons, 16/18/36 sizes. I've replaced them all with custom color icons, reset permissions/PRAM/etc. but nothing. Since Lion's using more/new frameworks, it could be anywhere.

KiraDouji
Jul 20, 2011, 09:26 PM
Wondering if anyone has rooted this out any further?

My entire computer has custom icons for all folders (yes, I'm obsessive) and losing them in the sidebar is extremely irritating. :mad:

scifi451
Jul 20, 2011, 10:37 PM
I am another person who would enjoy having some color back in the finder sidebar. So hope some one finds a way.

velocityg4
Jul 20, 2011, 10:38 PM
Wondering if anyone has rooted this out any further?

My entire computer has custom icons for all folders (yes, I'm obsessive) and losing them in the sidebar is extremely irritating. :mad:

I'm wondering the same as I am also an icon whore. I've been using custom icons since my first Mac with System 7.1.

With this icon problems and other annoyances. I am starting to view OS X Lion as OS X Vista.

The last time I felt so disenchanted with a Mac OS release was the painfully slow 10.0.