PDA

View Full Version : 12" Powerbook 867mhz Rev. A 1GB Ram Upgrade

heljy
Feb 21, 2005, 01:07 AM
Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has successfully installed a 1GB Ram on the 12" PB 867mhz. I know that the specs says a 512MB upgrade is max, but I remember hearing that 1GB ram works as well.

Just want to confirm that before spending $200 on the upgrade...

hulugu
Feb 24, 2005, 03:10 PM
Damn, I have the same question. I've heard the same thing previously, but I don't know if anyone has gotten it to work.

Koodauw
Feb 24, 2005, 03:55 PM
I would be interested in this as well, but more so in some benchmarks afterward. If you do go ahead, please let us know.

heljy
Feb 24, 2005, 07:48 PM
I would be interested in this as well, but more so in some benchmarks afterward. If you do go ahead, please let us know.
My 1GB ram and 100GB hdd just arrived from newegg today. I will try to install both of them at the same time over the weekend. Is there an easy [and free] way to move all ur apps and documents from one hdd to another?

heljy
Feb 24, 2005, 07:49 PM
BTW, what benchmarks would be useful to run. Since I am upgrading my hdd as well, I am interested to see if that gives any performance boost or whatsoever.

nospleen
Feb 24, 2005, 07:54 PM
My 1GB ram and 100GB hdd just arrived from newegg today. I will try to install both of them at the same time over the weekend. Is there an easy [and free] way to move all ur apps and documents from one hdd to another?

Go to versiontracker.com and download carbon copy cloaner, it works well and is freeware.

CanadaRAM
Feb 25, 2005, 12:12 AM
Go to versiontracker.com and download carbon copy cloaner, it works well and is freeware.
Good advice

heljy: see if you can borrow a Firewire or USB2.0 2.5" enclosure to do the transfer with. Of if you can, buy yourself an enclosure and put the older drive into it as a backup.

heljy
Feb 25, 2005, 01:00 AM
Good advice

heljy: see if you can borrow a Firewire or USB2.0 2.5" enclosure to do the transfer with. Of if you can, buy yourself an enclosure and put the older drive into it as a backup.

That is exactly what I am doing right now. I have a firewire 2.5" enclosure and I am currently trying to clone my system hdd to it and then do the swap later. If all goes well, I will have a 40GB external hdd to replace my current 5GB :D

And I am please to confirm that the 12" Powerbook 867Mhz aka Rev A. supports (unoffically) the 1GB upgrade.

I got the KingMax 1GB PC2700 for about 180ish at newegg.com: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-155-111&depa=0 Shipping is super fast, ordered on Monday evening, got it on Thursday afternoon.

Initial impression: I do not really see any improvement in day-to-day activities (emails; browsing; chatting) but I expect it to be really helpful when I am using photoshop or multi-tasking between different apps. I upgrade from 512MB.

Here's a pic that I took: http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~effendy/12_PB_867_Upgrade/DSCN4918.JPG

Hope that helps!

heljy
Feb 25, 2005, 10:44 AM
Good advice

I have transfered my hdd to my new hdd via a firewire enclosure. Do I just put the new hdd into the powerbook and it should just work?

hulugu
Feb 28, 2005, 12:31 AM
...And I am please to confirm that the 12" Powerbook 867Mhz aka Rev A. supports (unoffically) the 1GB upgrade....I got the KingMax 1GB PC2700 for about 180ish at newegg.com: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-155-111&depa=0 Shipping is super fast, ordered on Monday evening, got it on Thursday afternoon....Hope that helps!

Oh sweet. Thanks for being the first one down the well, and I really appreciate the link. Thanks again.