Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoman504

macrumors regular
May 10, 2010
Ordered one but haven't received it yet. I'm worried because they keep dropping its price, possible fit issues? Should come tomorrow, we'll see.

sparkstsa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2010
I ordered one hoping it is as good as the grip vue I had on my original iPad.

Let us know what you think when you get yours

One thing that concerns me is that I don't see a cut-out in the middle for the mic. Its hard to tell by the pictures.

Last edited:

sparkstsa

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2010
Looking at the pictures again and noticed a cutout on the side below the headphone jack. Looking at pictures of the iPad 2, I don't see what that could be for. Anyone?

sotie

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2007
Looking at the pictures again and noticed a cutout on the side below the headphone jack. Looking at pictures of the iPad 2, I don't see what that could be for. Anyone?

Sim Card slot. I don't think it's necessary because there's really no reason to access it.

Advil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
I hope this one is good. I remember a good one being available from an eBay seller for the original and it's my favorite case. It was only $10 shipped too.

johnc22

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Atlanta
I've already received a ship notice for this. At $7.50 shipped it is worth a shot until more accessories are available.

zoman504

macrumors regular
May 10, 2010
No hole for the microphone! This is a bad case, sorry.

To be fair, I'd say must of us are picking it up simply to get us through this month until better cases finally become available. Seems worth the $10 shipped to me, assuming it at least fits. I'll probably pick up the Incipio Feather once it ships.

firteen888

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2008
I hope this one is good. I remember a good one being available from an eBay seller for the original and it's my favorite case. It was only $10 shipped too.

It was a good case, but that seller was horrible. I remember our thread from last year about that guy.

I purchased one of these cases. if it's good I might end up returning the smart case, throwing a screen protector on the front and just using this. Thanks for the link.

J Griz 757

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2010
I received my clear TPU case saturday, 3days after my order (I live in Maryland), and much say, the case is better than expected, for the price.

Obviously the lack of a mic hole was annoying, so I just cut a small hole where it should be, no biggie. I knew ordering a very low price case, ahead of the actual release of the iPad2 at the time was a small gamble.

Also, my smart cover isn't rendered completely useless (as I feared), as the magnet's pull are still strong enough to pull toward the iPad even through the case. It's not strong enough to prop the iPad up with it's case on, but when I'm finished using the iPad for the moment, I can just snap the smart case over the screen, and I'm good.

Here's the the how the smart case's hinges look over the case
CaseOniPad.jpg

Other side view
CaseOniPadSide.jpg

Last edited:

J Griz 757

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2010
To be fair, I'd say must of us are picking it up simply to get us through this month until better cases finally become available. Seems worth the $10 shipped to me, assuming it at least fits. I'll probably pick up the Incipio Feather once it ships.

Yea I can agree.

Too many cases are overpriced, and not enough selection, so I didn't want to feel obligated to drop (another $70 haha) on a full body case I didn't like so went with the hhi one for now.

Knowing that I get use out of my smart cover I might stick with this for awhile.

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
I think the case is a piece of thick rubber junk!
It feels three times worse than a zagg back cover, thick plastic crap!

Rushed into production to be able to sell on launch day. I actually did not even notice it was missing the mic hole so thanks for that! I'll cut a hole in it right away!

Having said that I think it is a good interim case till the feather or another better quality case is released.

It does not work well with the smart cover at all, magnets are only barely keep it attached. I mean it does attach but certainly not well.

So to over comes this is a very easy process, just slice the side off the left hand panel enough so the magnets do attach properly. I found removing this section did not have any real impact on the rest of the covers ability to remain attach to the ipad. So once doing this it worked fine, staying attached as hough it was a completely naked ipad

I actually paid a bit more but did not feel like this was any long term solution to protecting the back of my unit so decided it was expendable if my arts and crafts project did not work out.

johnc22

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Atlanta
I think the case is a piece of thick rubber junk!

For $7.64 shipped my expectations are low. I fully expect to drop a bunch of money on a good leather case at some point so as cheap as I can get a basic interim case like this the better.

At this price point modifying it for a mic hole is no big deal, and IMO the "Smart" cover is overpriced junk as well, but Smart if you are Steve Jobs and an Apple stockholder. Please buy more leather Smart Covers! :p

iamthekiller

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
I ordered one from HHI today and it shipped already. This will have to suffice until Otterbox puts out a Defender for the ipad2.

thewired1

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
I just ordered one. The price was certainly good.

Any ideas how hard it would be to add a mic hole? Can a dremel be used on the TPU material?

NYY FaN

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
New York
would you mind posting more pics of the case on the ipad? I just ordered one so I can have it protected until some of the better cases are finally released.

Sh0k

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2010
Got my clear TPU case today and to my surprise, it's not a bad case for the $10. I paid including shipping. The only thing missing is a hole for the microphone but I stopped by WalMart and picked up a one-hole puncher from the supplies department that did the trick, kind of rough at the edges of the mic hole, but this case will stay until I find something better.

meihcydna

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2009
Anyone willing to post up pictures of their TPU case they received already? I might consider one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.