PDA

View Full Version : Logitech z5500 Speakers - Apple Emac

Billenium_uk
Feb 21, 2005, 06:48 AM
Hey

Ive recently got hold of an emac and was wondering how i go about connecting My logitech z5500 speaker system to it, I understand that this system is mac compatible although i am unsure of what cable i need to connect them to it. I really wanna find out coz this These speakers rock!

anyone shed any light??

cheers

Bill

Eastend
Feb 21, 2005, 06:59 AM
Hey

Ive recently got hold of an emac and was wondering how i go about connecting My logitech z5500 speaker system to it, I understand that this system is mac compatible although i am unsure of what cable i need to connect them to it. I really wanna find out coz this These speakers rock!

anyone shed any light??

cheers

Bill

Really I do not know too much about those speakers, but I believe they have an Optical in, the iMac has an Optical out. Just be careful of the type of end on the optical line there are a couple of types, it's kind of square looking on the iMac, not sure about your speakers. Good Luck.

Brian

Billenium_uk
Feb 21, 2005, 09:50 AM
hi

yeah the speakers do have an optical out, and i have a optical cable however it has the same connection on both ends it is a TOS/llink cable?? neither of these will fit into the socket on the mac..you say there are different types??

cheers

Bill

iceTrX
Feb 21, 2005, 10:48 AM
These speakers have multiple Digital/Analog I/Os. You could easily connect your eMac with the 2 channel analog minijack cable thats included with the Z-5500s or you could get an external sound card that would give your eMac either Optical or Coaxial Digital Out. The eMac does NOT come with any sort of Digital Out for Audio. This will give your eMac Optical Out: http://m-audio.com/products/en_us/SonicaTheater-main.html

I have an M-Audio Transit for my PowerBook and it works beautifully for real DTS and Dolby 5.1 Surround from the Apple DVD player. For music I use an Airport Express that has built in Optical Out.

absolutmp5
Feb 22, 2005, 03:52 AM
i have the z5500's there fantastic speakers. you will definetly be able to get it hooked up. you can just use one of the mini stereo jack connections (1/8) but when it comes to optical you will need a toshlink and probably have to setup the emac with all the decoding to go the speakers console.